Health issues after antibiotics!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I take him to the vet again

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Go buy amoxicillin

• Total voters

Kitcat920

Hi I am a first time Rat owner and I have 2 male dwarf rats. A few weeks ago one of them had lost a lot of weight, was in pain, lethargic and not himself. I took him to the vet and had him on antibiotics for ten days, like the vet said. I fed him supplement food for him to gain weight, and he did. He became himself again and seems fine. I am worried however because he still makes noises sometimes and I am worried it’s his breathing. It was 78$ to take him to the vet and as I love this rat to death I will certainly take him back I just do not want to take him again for him not to get better. Please help I do not know what to do!

Attachments

• 4E5E31D5-64B7-47A2-B6C0-34A53E68C900.jpeg
    4E5E31D5-64B7-47A2-B6C0-34A53E68C900.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 163
How old is your lad? What antibiotics was he given from the vet? Unfortunately 10 days isn't long enough to cure an active infection, which should be treated for a very very minimum of 14 days or even better 3 weeks.

He’s about 6 months old. The vet only gives me enough for ten days and only gives me doxycycline. His breathing noises are on and off although I am still worried about him. He keeps losing weight whenever we get him to put some on. I don’t mind taking him back to the vet but it’s 50$ and I want him to be properly taken care of.

I am located in the US and I am able to order online. Where and what do I order from? Thank you for getting back to me so quickly I’m not sure what to do to make him feel better!

Back