Healing Cyst/abcess

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuzzlFlame

Hi
Puzzl had this for a while and I've been flushing it out with warm salt water as it has been advised.
I am wondering if it's still healing as it's taking quite a while. Is there anything I can do to speed the healing process?

Attachments

• 20220528_151203.jpg
    20220528_151203.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 36
Also would it be ok to use a small amount of hydrogen peroxide? I have used this on myself before to kill any infection. Would it be too intrusive for rats?

It looks like it still has gunk in it which would prevent healing, if you can get them to a vet that's your best option because they can clean it painlessly. Never ever EVER use hydrogen peroxide on a rat, if they ingested it, it could become fatal. Rats can't vomit, peroxide is often used when a dog has eaten something toxic because it reacts with the stomach bile and foams like a bad infection, causing them to vomit it and anything in their stomach back up, often saving the dogs life. If however an animal cannot vomit it back up it can do a few things that are quite graphic and I think you get the general idea- avoid it like the plague !

Back