Head Tilt - Tumor?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mixalot2009

Hey all. So about a week ago my oldest rat Rocky started having a head tilt. started out as just a tilt and then if i tipped him he would just roll over. No circles yet but I dont want to advance to that point. we have had him about a year and dont know how old he was when we got him but i would guess around 6 month. He has been on Amoxicillin for about a week now since I assumed it was a ear infection. There hasn't been any improvement in that time though so I'm worried its a tumor or stroke. He is still eating and seems fine but just tilted. Any advice would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_20190815_172243_787.jpg
    IMG_20190815_172243_787.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 135
It could still be an ear Infection sometimes one medicine isn't enough to clear it fully. I have a little girl who had a bad ear infection and she will always have her head tilt/be dizzy I hope someone with more knowledge comes along.. I don't think it's a tumor and I feel like a stroke would effect them more but.. Who knows..?

Classic inner ear infection for sure. I would definitely add baytril/Enrofloxacin and treat for 3-4 weeks. The tilt may lessen a lot, a little or not at all but once the active infection is gone he'll adapt to being a tilty and should be fine. I've seen a LOT worse don't worry :)

FYI... Baytril/enrofloxacin is the same thing. Just to clarify. Also, another FYI, you can find Baytril online at Jedds.com or Ladygouldianfinch.com, just in case you weren't aware.

Alright thanks! I've had rats for around 19 years since i was around 10 and never had any health problems except the occasional sniffle and one stroke, until rocky got this ear thing. Its pretty new territory for me lol

Back