Head injury

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JEFFREY BYERS

My rat Nelson got his head caught in a door when I closed it and now he's walking around with his head down but he is walking around. He has his head tilted and doesn't walk very straight but I think it's because he's just concussed a bit. I put him in his cage so he can rest without walking around but I am worried about him and if he will get better. If anybody has any advice on this I would greatly appreciate it.

He was perfectly normal before the door? Just want to rule out inner ear infection.
Give him some infant liquid ibuprofen (if you give me a weight I can give you a dose) for pain and possible swelling. Or if you have Metacam/meloxicam that's even better.

It was a house tour is head just got pinched but it might have been his neck I'm not sure. I let him rest overnight in his cage he seems to be fine but he's resting on his right side which i belive is the side causing him pain. Cant be sure weather it was his head or neck.

what is his weight???? So lilspaz68 can suggest a dose for meds
(a digital scale that weighs accurately to 1 gram and has a tare feature is an important resource for rat owners)

Have you taken him in to see a good vet knowledgeable
and experienced in treating rats?
or made an appointment?

How is he now?
Has he been given any meds? If so, what and strength (mg/ml)

I havent taken him in yet. Hes doing ok. Hes eating and drinking all hes doing is tilting his head and being lazy. He can still walk but I can see that he still struggles a little.

He likely needs pain meds, and probably an anti-inflammatory to relieve pressure on his brain etc ……
Please take him in to be checked out by a good vet that has the knowledge and experience to treat rats !!!!

He is not being lazy ……. he was seriously injured and requires medical care!

So I made an appointment with the vet next week. He's doing a lot better he doesn't have a head tilt and he's walking around perfectly fine. He lets me pet him. He has lost some of his friskyness but he's doing a lot better. Im still taking him in but is this a sign that he's recuperating on his own

I have no medical knowledge except personal experience as a pet owner but it sounds like he is feeling better - that is good news!!!

Last edited:
Back