Hazel Question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

Ok so something happened last night that I am just curious about and maybe a tad worried.

I want everyone to know a couple of things. First I constantly put my fingers in the girls cage near them, they either grab it and start licking or they move in for pets. I have NEVER put food between the bars as Wayne has young nephews and I don't want the girls biting at their fingers thinking it's food.

Waynes brothers friend was over last night and I didn't witness any of this and I don't think Wayne did either but Scott put his finger near Hazel and she bit him. Not really hard, he does have a mark it was on the cuticle of this index finger and it looks like the skin was broken. She apparently went to 'lunge as he called it' again but he moved his finger away. I am unsure if he had his hand in the cage or finger through the bars.

Wayne told me this story after we went to bed and we discussed it and we've never had this problem before. This morning I asked if he had had food on his fingers as I knew he had been eating chocolate and candy earlier. But he said he was eating it with the other hand. I had asked if he had pet Lily and not washed his hands and he said maybe but it was a way before this even happened.

Wayne and I had both put our hands in later that evening and nothing happened. She's become a suck and has been really easy to take out of the cage and Wayne did so last night. Even this morning she has no problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

What she did was absolutely normal. This was an intruding finger in her cage. She probably was not used to his smell and of course she had to protect her home. The fact that she did not bite down hard to make him bleed, means that it's not in her nature to hurt.
You can put your fingers in the cage and it's ok to her because she knows you, she loves you. But somebody else, it's time to take action and prevent whatever harm she might have thought could happen.

Here's an example: When my mom would visit me, she would try to pet Bijou but Mister didn't know her hand so he would prevent my mom from touching Bijou, he would nudge her hand away.

OK whew... that makes me feel a whole lot better. Good then my telling little fingers to stay out is a good idea. It really makes you realize how protective and people specific they can be.

Thanks Jo.

I will fully agree with Jo on this one Le-Andra. Rats are territorial and, like any animal, they will defend themselves against something they don't know.

Although I do not know the boy in question, you need to be a little critical of what children tell you. It is unlikely that he was aware of his actions and movements and if he was abrupt in any way, he probably scared little Hazel.

My rats are also easy to scare. I constantly have them "jumping" to something despite the fact that they are in familiar territory with someone they know and love.

If there was the scent of chocolate to boot... don't be surprised at Hazel's reaction. The chocolate does not need to be on the finger in the cage! My boys can smell a chocolate chip from the kitchen.

I'm sure the poor boy meant no harm and it is very rare for rats to be vicious. Normally, rats that are mean spirited and vicious are that way to everybody. You need to introduce other family members to the rats and give both parties a chance to get to know each other.

My girlfriend is probably one of the friendliest women in the world and even she had to be cautiously introduced to Ben and Basil. Basil warmed up quickly but Ben was scared and hid his little head in the crease of my arm. He will come around with Julie but it will take some time.

Little rat forms also have their fears and children may tend to be too overly energetic for the kind of initial introduction required by a little lady of Hazel's majesty. ;)

Don't worry... I'm sure they will warm up to each other. :love6:

Don't worry about your girl, it's not a problem with her.
Something about his finger smelled tasty to her (you might want to congratulate him on his natural sweetness? :wink: }
Obviously something that smelled like good food overrode his human scent, no matter what he says about eating sweets with the other hand.
Nobody's fault, I'm sure Hazel meant no harm to him. Yes, they are territorial with other rats, but a secure-feeling domestic rat will not get territorial with humans, or bite a human unless it is a mistake - thinking they are grabbing food or grabbing too fast in excitement to differentiate - bars or no bars.

Hope your friend is ok. Get the cutest picture of Hazel you can find with the big love-me eyes, add some apology text, and email it to him!

My Bronling Angel bit unglued when she tried to pick her up. Its instinctive to protect yourself against "predators" Bite first, think later...means you'll be alive later. It happens. You could start intro's with your rats and the boy. :cheeky:

I'm not overly concerned about him (sadistic as that may sound hehe). He's 17 not young and I told waynes Sister and Brother if they have anyone over and even if they have rats themselves not to put their hands in the cage unless I am there. I don't want mine to feel threatened in anyway, I'm their mom and there to protect them not make them feel more insecure.

Thank you all for your help. I feel so much better about it. I was really concerned. I will explain to him what happened and why so he knows.

Back