Hay for rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCurse

While looking on Oxbow's website (to see if their essentials diet for rat was non-GMO or not), I came across that they recommended putting hay in yours rats' cage for nesting material. Is it worth it to spend the money and get them some hay?
I saw something on one site saying that the oils found in hay is good for their skin and coats. Is this true?
My rats have some toilet paper, some paper towels (all unscented and as far as I know, no lotion or anything on them), and fleece that they use for nesting material. It's mostly fleece, since they mostly just... pee on the toilet paper and paper towels.
I also have eight male rats living together, so I more often than not find them sleeping in pairs or trios.

I've seen that before too and seen people do it for mice. I'd be worried about the dust from the hay bothering them. I've also seen small animals such a G-pigs and bunnies pee on hay instead of eat it, the smell of hay+urine is pretty bad.

To my knowledge hay is not used as bedding as it is often moldy
Maybe they are promoting Timothy hay that is sold for rabbits to eat?
People use straw as bedding for farm animals and in outdoor shelters for feral cats

If you decided to use straw or hay, you would need to ensure it is not dusty, or moldy, and that it is parasite free
I don't know of anyone who uses it with their pet rats

Last edited:
I never thought about the mold, dustiness factor, or them peeing on it. Strange. Thanks for that tidbit, I obviously didn't think of it. I saw one site say alfalfa hay is good for their skin, but I think I've only ever seen timothy hay in pet stores, and that's marketed towards rabbits and chinchillas for consumption.

I just saw it on Oxbow's site and I thought it was the weirdest thing. I understand Oxbow is a company and do want their products sold, but I was a little bewildered at the recommendation, especially since I've seen nothing about it on here (not that I've been here long enough to know too much about this place).
I probably won't end up using it just because I have a sensitive nose anyways.

If I'm not mistaken (which I'm tired, and might be), it's not good to give them alfalfa hay.....correct me if I'm wrong.

They absolutely do eat hay. I have guinea pigs as well as rats and I like to throw some of the piggies’ Timothy hay in every so often and it’s always gone the next day.

They will not eat it. I believe she was thinking of using it for bedding

I wasn't going to use it for bedding, just more like snuggling material or even extra things to munch on. I've just started using pee rocks and placed in another litterbox, and I'm seeing immediate improvements with my rats pottying behaviors.

EDIT: I didn't mean to come off as rude or condescending.

I've just started using pee rocks and placed in another litterbox, and I'm seeing immediate improvements with my rats pottying behaviors.
What are you using for pee rocks? I tried to look into this and couldn't really find anything! where did you get them, what size, and did you have to clean them before putting in the cage?

They absolutely do eat hay. I have guinea pigs as well as rats and I like to throw some of the piggies’ Timothy hay in every so often and it’s always gone the next day.

Interesting ..…. rats do not usually eat hay or straw
They may chew it or use it to build nests, but rarely eat it according to the research I did
Actually I learned something new :) because this is the first time I have heard of rats eating hay

My rats eat it too. I just put a little Timothy hay in a hanging treat toy, and hide snacks in it. They play with it, put it in nests, and eat it. I'm just careful about alfalfa. I've read that's not good for them.

What are you using for pee rocks? I tried to look into this and couldn't really find anything! where did you get them, what size, and did you have to clean them before putting in the cage?
I heard about pee rocks from a couple of forum members here. And most people would recommend getting just any old rock for a pee rock (one that's bigger than your biggest rat), but since most craft stores don't sell rocks big enough to fit my huge boys, and MN is currently under three feet of snow, I just found the biggest rocks I could find in the craft store and sort of.... piled them up together. In the summer (or spring, depending how cold the rivers, streams, and lakes are) I might go looking for the biggest rocks I can find.
I don't know if it's a Midwestern thing, but there's a Michael's, which is a craft store. I thought about Home Depot/Menard's, but neither had rocks large enough, only bricks. Michael's had the big rocks I was looking for.
I dunno what rock exactly. I think they're river stones. About as big as my palm each. I put about three of these big guys in each litterbox, and I saw immediate results. Lot less urine about (not that I saw that much in the first place) and they seem to be pooping in their litterboxes more carefully. I cleaned them off with just water beforehand. My rats aren't strong enough to pick them up and I haven't seen any of them check or lick the rocks.

My rats eat it too. I just put a little Timothy hay in a hanging treat toy, and hide snacks in it. They play with it, put it in nests, and eat it. I'm just careful about alfalfa. I've read that's not good for them.
Okay, sounds great! If I ever get any hay for them, I'll definitely hide some treats and get timothy hay only. Do you happen to know anything about straw and how that is for rats?

Not sure about straw. I just used Timothy hay because that's what our bunny eats. She's in the same room as the rats. We have some that has mint leaves in it, some that has dried carrots, some with dried cranberries (the rats go crazy over this one) and some with dandelion in it. I haven't used that yet, but the hay with stuff already in it is a bonus. I don't give much, or often, as hay can be dusty. Just enough to stuff in their foraging toy. When it's really cold, and I worry about it maybe getting cool in the house, I may throw a tad bit in the bottom of their cage. They do with it as they wish. Then in about a day or two, throw it away. Wet hay can mold easily.

I've thought about getting that bird foraging wheel toy. Might stick tiny bit of hay in there to see what they think. It'll be a good mind game for them too.

Back