Have two male rats that recently started fighting? Help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trisha mayoue

I have two male rats cookie and smokie. They have been cage mates since they we're babies and I recently moved and decided to get another cage being they we're getting bigger and one day they got into a bad enough fight where it drew blood from both rats! So I have tried on two separate occasions to try and see if they would get along and didn't turn out well. And there for I ended up being bit pretty bad. So what's going on with my two ratties? They are not neutered and turned one is a month older than the other so 9 months and 10 months is this a hormonal thing? Or what should I do?! Don't want to keep them alone but won't risk having another bad fight. Please any idea's so they don't get depressed!? And what could have caused them to just not get along?

My guess is hormonal. Do you have a good rat vet? Maybe take them in to see about getting neutered. Other than that, I don’t know. You may have a look at www.joinrats.com and see what you can find on that. But don't be surprised if one, or both needs a neuter.

Sounds hormonal, s a neuter by a good vet with the knowledge and experience to safely neuter rats would be a good idea

If the cage is not large enough or does not have enough enrichment, that could be adding to the problem

Last edited:
Back