Have a Martins cage? Post pictures here!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate476

There's a thread for all CN pictures so I though I'd start one for Martins cages (if one has been started already I apologize. I did look though and didn't see one). I don't have a Martins right now but dream cage is a Martins 695, until I have one I'd like to drool over yours (you can have ANY kind of Martins cage to post) and get some decor ideas :D

Post away!

I have had two R695s, a huge custom made cage, and a smaller martins as a quarintine cage.
They are wonderful, well made cages that last a long time is cared for properly.
I found that covering the large wire floors with a piece of thick linoleum cut to fit, and covering the balconies with a dollar store dish drain tray cut to fit and attached with cable ties, worked well

I also have a large martins playpen that has lasted many years and has been well used.

At this point in time I only have CNs and an FN for cages, although I am using a borrowed martins R695

Aug31Liverpoolgirls.jpg

The Liverpool girls in my martins playpen (August 2008)

April28Miriamandher8weekolddaughtersincage.jpg

Miriam and her 8 week old daughters in an R695(April 2011)

April28Easterand7weekoldStorm.jpg

Easter and Storm in the bottom of an R695 (April 2012)

Last edited:
Here is another of the martins play pen.

Dec08peekaboo.jpg

The R695 above was borrowed from godmother ... I'll see if I can find pics of mine
At one time I had 3 martins conneted with tubes.
Mamarat and Jorats used to have 3 R695s connected by removing the sides.

Nice cages/playpens, SQ! I'm utterly jealous of that waffle house thing in the 695. One of those is in my future :nod:

I'm hoping to get a martins playpen in the future. Right now the rats play on my bed and I think a playpen would be a lot more convenient (not to mention would have more room for toys and such :wink2: ).

Oooooh! I can post here!

Ruby came in a martins Rat Tower. I ended up making shelf liners for it and they seem to be working really well.

The baby boys are currently living in the cage, but I hope to move Ruby in sometime... soon?

DSC_0655.jpg

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0658.jpg

DSC_0659.jpg

DSC_0660.jpg

I need to decorate more, its been a bit busy around here lately.
I can't wait until Miss. Ruby can move in!!!

Nice cage, crumblina! I really like how fun it looks in there.

When I had a martins I would use towels that were too big on the bottom pan, I would drape them over the pan and put the cage on top so they stayed (I hope that makes sense haha), for the shelves I either used liners (I made them with thick fleece w/ fleece, or fleece w/ cotton) that were really heavy so they just stayed there (the rats would move them some but I'd just fix them once a day or so) or I'd grommet them and connect them to the cage using safety pins through the grommets. :)

Kate476 said:
Nice cage, crumblina! I really like how fun it looks in there.

When I had a martins I would use towels that were too big on the bottom pan, I would drape them over the pan and put the cage on top so they stayed (I hope that makes sense haha), for the shelves I either used liners (I made them with thick fleece w/ fleece, or fleece w/ cotton) that were really heavy so they just stayed there (the rats would move them some but I'd just fix them once a day or so) or I'd grommet them and connect them to the cage using safety pins through the grommets. :)

I use your grommet method but with binder clips (really, is there ANYTHING that binder clips can't do???) for the liners.
I was thinking of switching to fabric at the base, but the boys really like to pile up the aspen/crinkled paper and then move it and pile it up again lol!

I really like this cage... but the boys are really gentle and leave the liners alone. Ruby is the same, she hasn't destroyed any of her liners or hammocks (yet). So, maybe it is the rats and not the cage itself :p

No matter what I do with my attempt at liners, it seems they never stay lol!

Here is my upper 1/2 of the RUUD so far (I still have things I want to add/buy but haven't had a chance yet)

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

And after just one night lol:

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

Okay, well I had a cage similar to a Martin's for a while. I found it really hard to clean, but I imagine if you could get it outside and hose it down, it'd be easy to clean. Definitely get it powder coated too...the galvanized metal just absorbed the urine and it was always smelly for me. Also, the cage I had didn't have as much full shelf space as the Martin's do.

For liners, I made fleece ones and didn't fix them down any way. It wasn't a real problem because I didn't have any redecorators. :lol: They all just liked to sit or lie on top of them.

Liners:
IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG

And looking through pictures of that time, how could I not post this one:
P4170019.JPG

Before I made any liners. I tied a bridge between the first shelf and the door, and they all loved that!:
P2280331.JPG

After I painted it...
P3200223.JPG

Still using cardboard liners:
P3290316.JPG

AHAHAHA! That picture of all those rats piled in that rectangle looking bed is absolutely adorable and hilarious! :laugh4: :laugh4:

I've ended up keeping my RUUD since I'm putting the money into a neuter or 2 spays, so I need to wait on a CN. as soon as my new hammocks come in I'll have to post a picture. the cages are pretty bare because I wasn't expecting to fall head over heels for these little guys lol. I normally have supplies ready. RIP my wallet trying to decorate a RUUD and smaller cage at the same time.

Finally have a Martins!!

Here's my Martins chinchilla highrise

Full cage with full liner set
Martinscagefull.jpg

top.jpg

& bottom
bottom2.jpg

LOVING it so far :D

My rat lodge:

532418_10150923929971545_619370214_n.jpg

I have a set of hammocks and liners ordered for the cage, once I get them I'll post more pics. :)

Back