Has anyone else had the cold/fever/flu of the century??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I got sick eight days ago, expecting it to be over in a few days. But I just kept getting worse and worse, and I am still not able to go back to work. I even missed going out to my aunt's memorial service, which is on Saturday. Nobody would have wanted me on the plane.

It's getting discouraging. Anybody else in the same situation?

So sorry to hear this Godmother. No sickness here yet, but I suspect it will be lurking around soon enough. I have a roommate with a daughter who seems to catch everything. Get well soon. :hugs:

What exactly do you have, Godmother?

I came down with Bronchitis, 2 weeks ago, and although it is much better... the cough can still make people think that I am at death's door. :bunnydance:

I'm not sure what it is. Doctor said viral throat infection, although she didn't do a culture. I still have a sore throat and fever and have had (over the last 8 days) sinusitis, laryngitis, intermittent cough and fatigue.

eagle, here people were getting very sick all summer long. Then kids got sick the first week of school. I escaped all that, but my luck ran out.

A few years ago, I remember my sister having something like that. It would seem to get better and then she'd get hit hard again. It lasted quite awhile. I remember once many years ago having a cold that lasted over 3 months.
I hope you get better real soon.

Oh yeah, I got it the day after my best friends wedding (at least I didn't have it on the day!) still at work tho cos i don't get paid for sick days :(

I got something on the Thursday afternoon, before Tyr's surgery. Started with a sore throat, and that fuzzy ucky feeling of a low-grade fever. I woke up on Friday barely able to move, with fever, bone ache, sore throat, but managed to gety Tyr in then went home and slept...scary passing out barely moving sleep. But I would wake up every 20 mins completely disoriented. Saturday the fever spiked and the migraine hit, Sunday headache went away but the coughing started...constant, deep and painful, Monday was more of the same, but my nose started to run like crazy with the fever coming and going, coughing as well. Tuesday went back to work, but felt like I had been run over by a steamroller...every time I came home from work, I had to medicate the rats right after I came in, because I kept passing out at about 8-8:30 pm and then waking at 6 am the next day...I couldn't get enough sleep it seems...took me a week and a half to get over the lassitude. I don't even like to think about it, I was soooo sick. I missed a family function as well. My advice? Every chance you get to sleep, take it, who cares what time it is. ((gentle hugs for aching bones))

It seems everyone around me is getting sick, and usually I catch everything that comes my way, but knock on wood I have not caught this one........yet. Hope you feel better, and take care of yourself!

Im late to this party, but Im now on day 8 of horrible bronchitus...I have both a viral and bacterial form of it. Finally broke down Monday and went to the dr for an antibiotic. Now its wednesday and Im finally starting to feel a little better. I actually feel a little bit human. Started out last week as a sore throat and heaviness in the chest. I swear it couldn't decide what it was..chest or sinus type thing. Every day I'd wake up and sometimes it would be in my head, some days it would be in my chest. It's horrible. Some days I could barely keep my eyes open. Hopefully this antibiotic finishes kickin some but soon, its back to work on Saturday. And well wishes to anyone else who is sick!

I work on a LTC facility and it's been going around there... It's a nasty one that's for sure!
Lasting roughly 6 WEEKS!!!
I've only had the slight feeling that it may blossom into something, but it hasn't thus far.
Sleep is the key i've been told, since it is viral there's not much else that can be done.
Wash your hands often and don't touch your face!!!

Eeek you poor dears! There is a terrible sickness going around at the minute - my partner had it and it's the worst I've ever seen him. Went to bed at 11, and then woke up at 3am with a terrible pain in his stomach, vomitted all day, bedridden for 3 days after with fever and stomach pain. It was awful!

A few of my lecturers have also been off ill, one of them is still off almost a month after!

This doesn't sound just like cold, its most likely influenza, and a severe variation of it. I caught it earlier on this year, and was terribly weak and sick for the next 2 weeks to come. Given that influenza is viral its a pain, I'm not sure if the US has it, but over here in Singapore we do have some vaccines against a few variants of the flu.

Over here the flu vaccine is always a bit late. I got mine on the first possible day (Oct 18) but I got sick the third week of Sept.

Sleep is the key. I have a setback every time I get less than eight hours; can't always do 8 hours on my schedule.

Well I can't relate in ya'lls area which is Canada I assume, but needless to say here in the South US we are having our fair share of sickness! They say TX is the best place to live for most every occassion, ACCEPT FOR ALLERGIES!!!!!!! In this case, we've had the worst allergy outbreak in over 2yrs. I don't remember the last time I got sick this many times with the cold or allergies or sinus infections. Within 3 months I had gotten sick over 4 times with sinus infections or the cold. My cold/sinus issues tend to run like clock work, I'll be sick for 3-4days then recover, but two weeks later I get hit hard again! :gaah:

The Flu shots here are already on call since the beginning of October for it. I don't get the flu often, rare that I do however back in 2010 I did get it, real bad. I actually passed out twice due to the high fever and the fact I guess i can't handle high fevers anymore, the high was 103.5F. It's funny that I don't get the flu often, but when I do it's always hard, and I'll be out for a week or longer. Stay healthy people, that's all I can say! Keep your immune systems up!!!! :panic:

I have had this crap for a week now, went to work last monday night with a slight tickle in my throat, when my 12 hours was over it burned so badly that I could not swallow, and my nose was running. When I got up and went back in Tuesday night, I had a fever of 39.4C, my nose was plugged, and just general feeling of blah. After trick or treating I started coughing, and now that's what I am doing. Cannot breathe more than shallow breaths without coughing up a lung. Everything else seems to be getting better, just the cough that is sticking around. yesterday I spent 20 of the 24 hours in bed asleep (sorta, I keep waking because I cannot breathe) because I took a sick day......was not up to doing 3 12hr night shifts, only managed to do 2 in a row. So now I have to get better so I can return KathleenFord's little boy, and work thursday/friday blech. I listened to my lungs at work, and did not hear and crackles, only wheezes which is to be expected and the "product" of my cough is a nice white, not a green, so at least i don't hae an infection, and don't need antibiotics haha

I got something new last week, was off work on Monday, staggered to work on Tues/Wed, they sent me home a very sick zombie on Thursday, went back to work on Friday, and am feeling much better after resting all weekend, but this thing REALLY tried to get into my lungs...fought it off. I was talking to Elyssa at the vets this morning and her mom had the same thing with the diagnosis of viral bronchitis, which really sounds right. Blech.

My husband's had pertussis (whooping cough) since mid-September. Doctor told him it was a virus for the longest time, until we insisted on a culture.

My suggestion...go get cultured if you're still sick.

Back