Happy hellos from my ratties to yours!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessa.J

Hello everyone! I would like to introduce the rat gang!

My sweet baby girl Priscilla is the last remaining food bandit for now :/
She's over 3 years old and so far, my oldest rat to date! She's 1 of 2 rats that I've owned that did not come from a cruddy pet store- but came from an amateur rat breeder (the person put out an ad for pet rats and claimed that she bred them as food for her pet snake but the ones for sale were just 'too cute to be food'....).
Not many options for pet rats where I come from so I decided to give it a shot. I adopted her with her 'sister' Gwendolyn and they were besties from day one. Poor Gwen had chronic URI issues and was pretty sick most of the time. After having been on antibiotics for about half a year (she was probably around 2 years old at the time) she passed away:(
Prissy was quite upset about the whole ordeal. She fortunately had her friend Vernon there to keep her company after her sisters death but it was only after 6 months that she completely got over the mourning of her bestie Gwen.
Unfortunately Vernon was the next to go. He was a sweet funny lil man that I saved from the pet store as a feeder rat (I have a bad habit of doing that). Of course, he lived the typical life span of a feeder rat with poor genetics and bad end-of-life health issues. I had him euthanized this summer after his body went cold and he was unable to eat anymore (I suspect multiple organ failures).
After Vernon, Prissy didn't have any more rat pals left to keep her happy so I've been spending every possible moment with her and even moved to my futon to sleep with her(it's much bigger and has more room for her to run around).
Unfortunately around the time that Vernon's health started to decline, my old lady started struggling with hind leg weakness and doesn't have much control over her feet anymore. She's also got a large lipoma mass in her armpit that reappeared after the first removal (it was a little more than 2" in diameter) but she's too old for it to be removed now (it's bigger this time but she can still manage to get around) other than that she's doing pretty good!

-I'm fostering a sweet SWEET boy named Dirty Chai Tea Latte (I didn't name him this lol). He is the sweetest rat I have ever owned and it breaks my heart to know that someone dumped him outside and left him to die:(
-I am also a week into fostering a new mama rat that I named Poppy! The day I brought her home, she had her litter of 10 (we currently only have 9 pups now).
She was rescued from a bad hoarding situation where nearly 200 rats were rescued and most all the females got pregnant. She is a dedicated mother that gets nippy when youre near her pups but is a sweet soul when she's away from them. She's an albino beauty with stunning red eyes. She's quite funny and has quite the parkour skills.

Poppy and her babies the day I brought her home in a bird cage from the shelter lol.
Screenshot_20221107-174723.png

Back