Happenings in my house, the good the bad and the ugly

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
sorry I don't post a whole lot lately, I'm going thru some personal issues.
I check every day and click "like" on posts mostly to let ppl know that I read them and that of course I care, but haven't had the energy to do much more.

Haskell and Ernest have gone on ahead to their next life. They were only 27 mos old :( why can't I have a rat live to 30 mos or more?? :(
after a lot of med changes, mostly increases in dosages, and some pain meds that did not seem to help much, I decided it was time to set my two beautiful boys free from their ailing bodies. They passed very peacefully July 17th and have been laid to rest in a good friend's home pet cemetery.

(on this same day, my almost 17yr old cat was acting odd and seemed uncomfortable, turned out she was having trouble peeing so I had to race her out the vet shortly after getting home from there. SHe's ok now, quite senile but still hanging in there.)

Myremaining two girls, Pippa and Kate, who are approx a year old, did not take the loss of their boyfriends very well. they have been moody and aggressive towards me, and just very distressed.

I am still trying to dig myself out of debt so I wasn't planning on getting any new rats but it really seemed the best thing for the girls would be have a new buddy. I couldn't stand seeing them so upset and they were regressing in terms of how much they would let me hold them etc. & Katie bit me on my face!
so I asked around if anyone had a girl or even a boy around their age. (My girls are both spayed)

Our own Fumblesquid noticed my search and contacted me about a girl she took in for a friend who was threatened with eviction if she didn't get rid of her rats. as Fumblesquid goes back to college in the fall, this arrangement was only temporary.
The smeeze girl is roughly 18 mos but acts much younger, she's confident and super kissy and just the sweetest lady. I'm calling her Elyse.
But Elyse has a tumor :/

originally I didn't have any plans to have it removed due in part to her age, and in part because it's outside of my budget to pay for a surgery right now. My vet gave me an estimate of $410 to $475 for the tumor removal (her prices have gone up dramatically recently!! it used to be under $200 for a tumor removal, and in Dec I got 2 girls spayed for less than that!! so, I don't what's up with my vet) in any case, that's way too much.

I happened across a post on another FB page that mentioned a vet not too far from me, who does rat neuters for just $50 or so, so I contacted that vet to see what they would charge for a tumor removal, Since I wanted to know if this would be a good vet to use in the future, I asked about spays too.
This vet charges $95 for a spay! and she said she would do the tumor removal AND a spay for $125! now that does not include the pre surgical exam or pain meds but still, holy sheep!
no one else around here has fees that low.

So Fumblesquid and I got together to try to raise the $ needed for this girl to get her surgery
I have $50 now from sales of fabric and from my food budget that didn't get used this month, so now we just need to raise the rest.

I/we are holding a FB auction that runs til Aug 5th (tentatively, it may go a few more days, we'll see)
there's hammocks donated by Fumblesquid and Jorats and Nickelrats and Melissa of the Rat Stash, i have some odds n ends including DIY hammock fabric bundle, a guinea pig piddle pad... adding more now, so check it out , there might be something you're interested in.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.500619036770254&type=1

you can also see photos of Elyse and a cute video on my FB page, I'm still not able to add photos here without putting them on a hosting site first :/

https://www.facebook.com/cookiedrat

so that's the good and the bad
what's the ugly? that would be me when I haven't had my coffffffffeeeeeeeeeeeee!! hahaha

Last edited:
That's crazy how your vet's prices went up so dramatically. Wth?

I was sorry to read about Ernest and Haskell passing (saw on FB). But again, they were so very lucky to end up with you. A whole room to roam in and girlfriends - what a life!

That's crazy how your vet's prices went up so dramatically. Wth?

I was sorry to read about Ernest and Haskell passing (saw on FB). But again, they were so very lucky to end up with you. A whole room to roam in and girlfriends - what a life!

yeh I don't know why that happened. (re the vet fees)

It was so sad letting Haskell and Ernie go, they were the most gentle boys. I knew they weren't doing well but I just kept hoping one or the other of the meds would pull them out of it
they had been on meds since Dec, so they really did well considering, but no matter how long you get, you always want more time, ya know?

The new girl is not yet intro'ed to my other girls but already she's helping them by giving them something else to think about

they were really distraught when the boys passed. I didn't expect that.
:(

Last edited:
$95 for a spay?
I wish ..... a spay is about $200 here and that is a better price then many others experience :(

Good luck with raising the $95, I know it is a lot when you don't have much

$95 for a spay?
I wish ..... a spay is about $200 here and that is a better price then many others experience :(

Good luck with raising the $95, I know it is a lot when you don't have much

thank you!
I know, It sounds too good to be true. But there's a lady on FB who takes her rats to this vet and she got a tumor removed for $50 and she gets her boys spayed for $45!
she gets the pre surgical exam fee waived ($46) but she's a long term client, I don't know if they'll do that for new clients

I just hope she's good at this. I asked how many rats they see and they said LOts.
not sure what their idea of "lots" is, and I was too timid to push for actual numbers
:/

thank you
I was looking thru my photos earlier and came across photos of the boys playing and it just about did me in. They were so goofy when they played together.

this is one of the photos I took of Elyse to show the vet her tumor
Elyse%20tumor%203_1.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your two boys. They had a wonderful life with you with lots of love and playtime. It's too bad the girls miss them so much. I'm sure they have perked up a lot wondering about the new girl Elyse.
I hope the new vet works out for you!

I'm so sorry to hear about your boys. I hope having a new friend will ease your and your girls' loss.

Elyse is a beautiful girl! Too bad she has to have surgery soon, but I'm sure she will recover easily--she looks bright-eyed and healthy in the picture you posted.

Wish I lived in your area--those vet fees are a great deal! My girl Lynn's tumor removal cost me over $300.

Back