Handling rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dianet

The Rat Shack
D
  • We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Handling new rats
Help Support Rat Shack Forum:
BECOME A SUPPORTING MEMBER
pixel.gif
EditStarMark unreadLeave
D
Dianet

Tuesday at 11:41 PM
Hi, I'm a first time rat owner and got my 3 girls from PAH a couple of months ago after I'd seen them stuck in a little tank for several months and felt so sorry for them. I now know this wasn't really the best thing to do so please don't have a go at me as its done now.
They were extremely skittish and I was bitten several times in the first few days but gradually they've got use to me and will now come to their cage door for 'breakfast' which is just two plain cheerios each and whenever I have treats such as sweetcorn, yogurt or red grapes.
My problem now is free time. I do let them out in the hall in the evening with boxes and toys etc, but to do this I have to wheel their cage in from the living room each night and sit with them while they play. They do come to me, jump on my knee and sniff me as long as I don't make any sudden movements, but I've never been able to pick them up and hold them. I've tried to catch them in their cage to bring them out but they're just too quick and scared and I don't want to distress them. I
can just carry on as I am for now but I'm not sure its helping matters in getting them use to being handled. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• 20200406_101543.jpg
    20200406_101543.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 124
You can use a licking treat to keep them by you while you slowly lower your hand to get them used to its presence. If they show signs of distress then just raise up to where their comfortable then keep going down, eventually you can hold them while giving them the licking treat, then put them down and hold again to keep getting them used to the feeling. Let the holds get longer as you keep working with them.

Yeah, canned ravioli sauce is great for licking. They LOVE it. Another thing to try is tickle-playing with them. Once situated in the play area & having fun, you could wiggle & bop their rear ends.

Back