hair "loss"

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible for you to find a more knowledgeable vet or a vet that likes rats and is willing to learn?
Vets consult with one another all the time, either by talking to another vet, observing another vet, or posting questions on a medical site restricted to vets.
Ratguide.com is a vet approved medical site …..
Many vets are open to people walking in and saying I found this info and I thought it might be of interest ….. but it sounds like your vet is not interested in learning :(

As Lilspaz68 said, you can only do the best you can.
and as Lilspaz68 wrote earlier, she can help with ordering meds online from sites she trusts

I'm sorry you're having to go thru such hoops just to get the treatment you know they need, and your kids are having to suffer with the bugs.
If your vet doesn't come thru - I've been using Ivermectin (I get Panomec) instead of Revolution for about 15 yrs, never had a problem in the many kids I've used it on. No problem to get (Buckerfield's or any place that sells stuff for livestock), no vet fee, you'll also have plenty product left for repeat doses on more kids than you'll ever have as long as the due date is good.
But you Must prepare & use it Properly! Squeeze the whole tube into a well-sealable little jar & mix extremely well. Give them a dose (in food) the size of a raw grain of rice 1ce a week for 3 wks.
http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/ivermectin.php

Unfortunately some vets aren't very receptive to having information given to the .like this. It's best if you know the vet and the type of person they are. Just do your best.

I understand what it would be like being in their place. I wouldn’t want someone coming into my place of work pretending they know more than me at my job but I do understand it from the customers perspective too in wanting what is best for their pet (or other services). I will see if I can suggest to the vet to look at www.ratguide.com to look further into rat care and such. Thank you.

Is it possible for you to find a more knowledgeable vet or a vet that likes rats and is willing to learn?
Vets consult with one another all the time, either by talking to another vet, observing another vet, or posting questions on a medical site restricted to vets.
Ratguide.com is a vet approved medical site …..
Many vets are open to people walking in and saying I found this info and I thought it might be of interest ….. but it sounds like your vet is not interested in learning :(

As Lilspaz68 said, you can only do the best you can.
and as Lilspaz68 wrote earlier, she can help with ordering meds online from sites she trusts

Sadly, I do not have access to any other vet. I have been told previously that all the workers there love rats but they don’t really act like it. She has previously reached out to others (vets?? I don’t know) for other medical situations for me to see what medications they thought was right for my rat for unrelated reasons to this situation although that didn’t help in the long run as I was given an incorrect medication in the end. It isn’t that she isn’t interested in learning as we are always continuously learning, but it is kind of rude to walk into someone’s place of work and think you know better than them how to do their job which in some cases you might. I will have to see if I can suggest www.ratguide.com for her to look at for more information on rat medication and care and such. Thank you.

I'm sorry you're having to go thru such hoops just to get the treatment you know they need, and your kids are having to suffer with the bugs.
If your vet doesn't come thru - I've been using Ivermectin (I get Panomec) instead of Revolution for about 15 yrs, never had a problem in the many kids I've used it on. No problem to get (Buckerfield's or any place that sells stuff for livestock), no vet fee, you'll also have plenty product left for repeat doses on more kids than you'll ever have as long as the due date is good.
But you Must prepare & use it Properly! Squeeze the whole tube into a well-sealable little jar & mix extremely well. Give them a dose (in food) the size of a raw grain of rice 1ce a week for 3 wks.
http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/ivermectin.php

This sounds odd, and I am most definitely still going to treat them so don’t worry but they seem to have cleared up slightly. The scabs are healing from what I saw on the one and there aren’t as many bugs on the other. The vet still hasn’t contacted me and she hasn’t told me anything about what she would like to treat them with so I don’t know what she wants. I am hoping to stay on the revolution path as since it is from a vets office it is more reliable than things you can get elsewhere. I am not saying that you are incorrect in any way, shape, or form, I just have a different perspective on the situation. I have actually been steered against using ivermectin as I have been told it doesn’t work as well and it is more dangerous (or so I believe that is what I’ve heard). I also believe that it would be easier to just treat them once instead of multiple times and it is easier to just put a dot (measured) on the back of their neck and let the medication do the rest. Thank you so much for your suggestion though. It means a lot.

UPDATE:
For some reason she is just taking action now MORE THAN A WEEK LATER. She obviously doesn’t care about the animals she works with. Guess who wasn’t at work again today. If you said the vet, you are correct. She is never their and clearly isn’t reliable. I was also told that the clinic will call back when the vet is back ON MONDAY. I am going to re weigh my boys and email them to her so she can try to get a proper dose but honestly I will probably just listen to what lilspaz has to say about how much to dose because the vet doesn’t know what she is doing. Honestly they should just fire her, she is NEVER at work. It shouldn’t have taken this long, it is literally just a box of medication, there is no need to mix anything. I don’t even know if she is going to give me the kitten revolution to treat them but I won’t settle with anything less. Thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way and also shared my anger.

boost
I weighed both boys today and sent it in to the vet for dosages and such. They both come to 1:3.3 at around 8:45 PM on Saturday, May 5th, 2019. There weights will fluctuate and this is also just an estimate as they were moving around quite a lot but this is the weight that is stayed on the longest/most frequent for both of them.

UPDATE:
I was able to get some medication finally.

Below is a photo that I took of what I received. I found it odd that I got it given to me in two different packages, one for each of the rats. The rat that I had collected the bugs from is the one with the bugs and the package with the lower dosage is for the rat who had the bad scabs. I also noticed that the amounts that I am to give to them are different. I crossed out personal information of where I live and such.

Are these measurements correct?
It also says to apply it in a line instead of a dot on the back of their neck/between their shoulders. Is that okay?

I was also wondering if I had to do anything before I treat them such as give them a bath or something. Also, am I allowed to just put them back in the cage afterwards? What if they lick one another because my one rat tends to like my other one.

Please get back to me ASAP so I can treat them as soon as I can. Thank you.

Attachments

• F23AC876-DC01-49EE-B4EA-583FA24BF6DC.jpeg
    F23AC876-DC01-49EE-B4EA-583FA24BF6DC.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 212
This is what is in the envelope. Why couldn’t she have just given me the box of kitten revolution, that is all I ask. I have no clue what this is.

She is really testing my patients :mad::mad:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 209
My question is, if they weigh the same, why the different dose? She could have given you a vial of it, and you could have drawn it out yourself. It's only about a drop of the solution, or about.1 cc I believe. Lilspaz can give you more info, or you can double check on www.ratguide.com and see.

I really don’t feel comfortable treating them with something that I didn’t ask for. All I wanted was the kitten revolution, just one little box. Why does she always have to make everything so complicated? Before anyone gets mad at me or says something along the lines of “if it isn’t what you wanted, why did you take it?”. I didn’t, someone picked it up for me and the vet didn’t give me any prior information on what I was receiving. What do I do though? I want to use kitten revolution but on the other hand this medication probably costed a lot but I am against using it by all means. I wanted kitten revolution and I am not settling for less. I sound like a spoiled brat but my pets health is at risk and I want what is best and what experienced rat owners know works not what a vet who knows little to nothing about rats is guessing I should use.

Last edited:
My question is, if they weigh the same, why the different dose? She could have given you a vial of it, and you could have drawn it out yourself. It's only about a drop of the solution, or about.1 cc I believe. Lilspaz can give you more info, or you can double check on www.ratguide.com and see.

I agree, there was no point in her measuring it out. She could have given me a box of kitten revolution and I could have measured it out myself but no, she had to give me some random concoction which could be god knows what. This situation is honestly making me so mad because she doesn’t listen. In the syringes it looks like it is way too much to put on in one session (0.45 mL). I only opened one of the envelopes and she didn’t even measure one of the syringes properly so that shows a insite of how well she does her job as if I didn’t catch that or if it was a more serious medication, my animals could be in danger.

Everything's fine. It looks like Kitten/Puppy/Cat Revo and she has pulled the doses up in a syringe. This Revo is 60 mg/ml. How much does each of your rats weigh and I'll give you the doses. The line thing is not necessary.

Everything's fine. It looks like Kitten/Puppy/Cat Revo and she has pulled the doses up in a syringe. This Revo is 60 mg/ml. How much does each of your rats weigh and I'll give you the doses. The line thing is not necessary.

I don’t see why she thought it was necessary to measure it, she could have just given me the box of kitten revolution and I could have done it myself. That is what I asked for and she ignored my request.

“They both come to 1:3.3 at around 8:45 PM on Saturday, May 5th, 2019.There weights will fluctuate and this is also just an estimate as they were moving around quite a lot but this is the weight that is stayed on thelongest/most frequent for both of them.”

It looks like there is way too much in each syringe and that if I were to put it on them it would be a mess and go all over.

Back