hair "loss"

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was able to get some photos. I apologize for the poor wuality as the lighting wasn’t that good so I had to use cash and the photos may be fuzzy as both boys wanted to jump up to my shoulder and kept moving. The dark haired one is the one with the scabs and no bugs and the light one is the one with bugs and no scabs. I tried taking photos of the bugs but if is very hard to see. I was actually having quite a difficult time trying to find both the scabs and the bugs for some reason, it’s like most of them just disappeared somehow. If I missed any information, I will try to update this when I can. Thank you.

Attachments

• 6B2D498D-B854-425E-AA2E-894FA8661EC0.jpeg
    6B2D498D-B854-425E-AA2E-894FA8661EC0.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 183
  • C2FEDD25-BFF7-4D34-B2F0-E9956A7DD9F2.jpeg
    C2FEDD25-BFF7-4D34-B2F0-E9956A7DD9F2.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 186
  • AD71A5D5-825F-472D-9FF6-D2B1ABCF2E3D.jpeg
    AD71A5D5-825F-472D-9FF6-D2B1ABCF2E3D.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 187
  • C15F2015-BA07-4647-9DCD-D03575787260.jpeg
    C15F2015-BA07-4647-9DCD-D03575787260.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 174
  • F24048D6-D3C9-46CB-BFD4-53A9BDB3BC58.jpeg
    F24048D6-D3C9-46CB-BFD4-53A9BDB3BC58.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 26F6087B-8E57-4D4A-9F5C-DE6AA00FFD81.jpeg
    26F6087B-8E57-4D4A-9F5C-DE6AA00FFD81.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 42B78547-08A1-4973-87AF-855D4C196BF7.jpeg
    42B78547-08A1-4973-87AF-855D4C196BF7.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 73DFD9C2-6C8C-412D-BA52-EDDF3E24F79B.jpeg
    73DFD9C2-6C8C-412D-BA52-EDDF3E24F79B.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 189
  • A79E9176-7796-43FB-8A32-1448673F5165.jpeg
    A79E9176-7796-43FB-8A32-1448673F5165.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 181
I went to the vet clinic today to try to get some kitten revolution and they said they couldn’t give it to me because his vet wasn’t there and they didn’t know dosages and such. I had the money all ready to go and my boys could have been treated but they can’t give me the medication and don’t know the severity of the situation and how damaging it can be to be left untreated. I hate going to this vet and I wish I could go somewhere else where I might at least have good service and have a vet that actually goes to work and does their job. That kind of turned into a rant, sorry. It is just aggravating. And to top it off, they are closed tomorrow (Sunday) so I won’t be able to get the kitten revolution until Monday where this is still a chance that she won’t even give it to me. AHHHHHHHH

I tried again to get kitten revolution to treat my rats and we were told that she won’t give it to us because when I took one of my rats in for unrelated reasons, he didn’t show any signs of mites but if I am being honest, she didn’t even look through his fur or anything so she doesn’t have any right to deny him treatment. I told them that I have photos of the bugs and scabs from when I posted on here because it would be easier and less expensive to show her the photos then to take them both in and spend upwards of $60+ just to see the vet. Thankfully, the lady at the front desk (the vet was busy) said that I can email them the photos and the vet can look at them when she is free and see what she can do. So I will email them when I am done typing this and hopefully I can get some kitten revolution ASAP.

Thank you all for your feedback.

She hasn’t called or emailed back yet.

I was wondering if using kitten revolution could be effected if one of the rats is taking doxycycline already. Could it cause either medication to be defective?

This was the vet’s response.

I weighed my other boy and took photo and video proof just in case she didn’t believe me. I am going to try to collect some of the bugs in my other boys fur. I am not going to pluck his fur because that is cruel. I will update you guys with anything new I encounter.

Knowing her though, she won’t let me get the kitten revolution because “it isn’t made for rats”. If you have any suggestions on how I can persuade her into letting me please let me know. I want to use something that will actually work and I trust experienced rat owners more than I trust her judgment.

Thank you

Attachments

• 0523BB70-ABE4-4B13-AB52-16C65EC22C67.jpeg
    0523BB70-ABE4-4B13-AB52-16C65EC22C67.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 171
I took the time to go through my one boys fur and pick out as many bugs as I could. Just now realizing when I reread the email I received, she said to use clear scotch tape, I used the other kind of scotch tape by accident (I don’t know what it is called at the moment, sorry) Hopefully it doesn’t matter that much. I put it in a ziplock bag. I have his weight so all I have to do is take the bag in to get it analyzed.

Thank you

Sorry, I brought in the bugs in a little bag but.. can you guess.. the vet WASN'T THERE (as always). She won’t be back until Monday apparently because she is visiting her son. I think that this town should get a vet who actually specializes in small animals/rats, knows what they are doing, and actually shows up to their job.

Anyway, a girl that was working there took the bugs I got and said that she will look at them under the microscope instead and take photos for the vet and such. I’ve never seen her before so I don’t know who she is or how much I can trust her judgement. I’m not even sure if she knew they were from a rat.

If I’ve left out any information I will update you guys. Thank you

the rat guide is a medical site for rat owners that is vet approved
You can print out the following for your vet, it includes info, dose, and references

http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/ectoparasites.php
http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/selamectin_revolution.php

Thank you for the information. Please don’t take this the wrong way because I don’t mean any harm by it at all and I have no clue how to word it to not seem mean but I have been told not to make the vet think that I am better at their job than them by bringing in papers and telling them how to do their job and I know that is not what you are meaning when you tell me to show them to the vet but she may take it that way. I understand what you are saying when you tell me to print them out and show her because you are an experienced rat owner and want what is best for rats and the vet isn’t that knowledgeable and doesn’t know much about rats so you are trying to help and I thank you for that. Sorry again.

At this point it sounds like you NEED to print the papers and take them to the vet. Who told you that anyway?!? If it was your current vet, then she needs to get off her high horse and take a seat! You NEVER stop learning, no matter what your profession, or how much schooling you have! There are always new techniques, and new studies coming out, and most of it is printed in articles and on sites just like www.ratguide.com has stuff. There are even new articles put on that site. And it's for that reason. To keep the vet, and owners up to date on new findings. Not to be rude, was just pointing something out. :)

At this point it sounds like you NEED to print the papers and take them to the vet. Who told you that anyway?!? If it was your current vet, then she needs to get off her high horse and take a seat! You NEVER stop learning, no matter what your profession, or how much schooling you have! There are always new techniques, and new studies coming out, and most of it is printed in articles and on sites just like www.ratguide.com has stuff. There are even new articles put on that site. And it's for that reason. To keep the vet, and owners up to date on new findings. Not to be rude, was just pointing something out. :)

I will see if I can print the papers but it still isn’t right to walk in portending that you know how to do their job better than them (in some cases). No, the vet is not the one that told me not to do so, it is just kind of common sense as if you do so you come of as stand off-ish and they get defensive and don’t want to help, not saying this from experience. I understand that we never stop learning and me personally, I try to figure out every little thing I need to know before doing something and if I forget some pieces I try to go back to it to get more information. Not trying to take a bash at you, tone doesn’t come across well through written messages. As for getting a call back from the vet, I have not received any feedback yet. She isn’t very reliable as you already know. I just hope that she is actually trying to do something about it and not just putting it off until the last minute.

Back