hair "loss"

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say this in the nicest way I can--please take your rats to the vet. Stop waiting and boosting this thread thinking that the perfect solution will come along. It won't. Rats cost money and require medical care. If that means an expensive (and $30 is nothing as far as expense goes--it could be so, so much worse) medication or time-consuming then that's what you do--that's what we sign on for when we own pets. Your rat is suffering--imagine how you'd feel if you were horrendously itchy and covered in scabs. More than that--skin problems like these can lead to infection and more serious health problems, including septicemia and death. If you cannot afford the healthcare and labor they need, you need to take advantage of the resources available to you or rehome them with someone who can.

Enough dithering--your rats need help, so help them.
Agreed. These rats need medical care.. You can't own an animal and expect to not have a vet bill.. If you can't get them to a vet or you won't do the baths find someone who will. They are in bad shape and it will lead to a more expensive bill later on if you don't treat it now ! The options have been given and you need to choose ..

Ratly5 and Kye,
Before you verbally attack someone online, learn the whole story. Little do both of you know, I have spent probably hundreds of dollars on my rats in vet bills and I am fully aware when I adopted my boys that there would be times that they need to go to the vet. I am trying to find an alternative to buying kitten revolution because I don’t know what goes into that and the chemicals they add and I don’t want it to hurt my rats if they ingest it. Also, I am hesitant to going to the vet because my vet doesn’t do jack to help. Yeah, you can say that the vet knows best of whatever but say what you will. She isn’t specialized in rats, she is a DVM and knows very little about rats, their care, and treatment from what I have experienced from going to her. Before you tell me to go to a new vet, I can’t. The closest one is 2 hours away and it is an expensive trip to do every time they need to go to the vet. Who do you think you are to tell me to give away my rats? I have put in literal blood, sweat, and tears to provide all that I can to keep my boys happy and they mean absolutely EVERYTHING to me so you two can stop or leave my thread. I clearly state not to be rude and look what you are doing.. Knowing my vet, she will probably prescribe something that will do the opposite of helping resolve the problem. She doesn’t answer my calls and takes weeks to get back to me and when I do get the chance to talk to her, she recommends giving them something that doesn’t end up working. I am trying to find solutions that actually work and things that I can suggest to her when I get the chance to talk to her. You don’t know my life so don’t act like you do.

https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/revolution-dosage-help.30686/
This old thread might help with dosing if you choose to go the revolution route.
https://www.drugs.com/pro/revolution-topical.html
This article is about revolution and how to use it. I think it might have the ingredients.
If you’re worried about your babies ingesting it you can bathe them after 2 hours. I suggest watching them during those 2 hours and stopping them from grooming their backs.
https://www.henryspets.com/rodent-e-collar/
You can also put on e-collars during the 2 hours and thentaking it off after bathing them

https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/revolution-dosage-help.30686/
This old thread might help with dosing if you choose to go the revolution route.
https://www.drugs.com/pro/revolution-topical.html
This article is about revolution and how to use it. I think it might have the ingredients.
If you’re worried about your babies ingesting it you can bathe them after 2 hours. I suggest watching them during those 2 hours and stopping them from grooming their backs.
https://www.henryspets.com/rodent-e-collar/
You can also put on e-collars during the 2 hours and thentaking it off after bathing them

Thank you so much for your feedback. I know that you have attached a link about dosing but it is some what confusing. Would just a drop between their shoulders/neck be sufficient? Or would it need to be less than that? Is it necessary to bathe them after 2 hours? As I have stated earlier in this thread, my boys hate baths and end up jumping out and my one boy literally screams when I try to give him a bath. Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to know all the details I can before I go through with it. In the first link, one of the users also said that it would take a few weeks (I think that’s what they said) for the medication to come in if ordered online but as you can see, I have already been yelled at for dragging it on. Would the vetrinary clinic give me some if I just asked for kitten revolution or should I get them checked out by the vet first? How long would it take for the collars to come in if I ordered them off of the site you attached? I don’t want to drag it on for much longer. Would I be able to just leave the collars on the rats or should I just wait the two hours then take them off? Instead of bathing them could I just scrub the medication off after 2 hours with a wet cloth?

I am so sorry again for all the questions, I just need to know every little detail that I can get.

Thank you again

EDIT:
I entered everything in to check and see how much it would first for me to purchase 2 collars for larger rats (I didn’t know what size to get) and see how much it would cost to ship to me and it cost around $25. The collars are around $7 each which is fine with me but the lowest shipping option is like $10. Is their any Canadian option that is a little cheaper? Thank you.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t know about things in Canada but I just typed in “e-collar for rats” and went to the first link. If you do get the collars take them off after you’ve wiped the revolution off.
One drop is enough per rat and better late than never right? But you could get it from the vet, they will probably want to do a check up though.
You don’t HAVE to bathe them or rub the revolution off after two hours but since it is a concern for you, I think a baby wipe will be good.

I wouldn’t know about things in Canada but I just typed in “e-collar for rats” and went to the first link. If you do get the collars take them off after you’ve wiped the revolution off.
One drop is enough per rat and better late than never right? But you could get it from the vet, they will probably want to do a check up though.
You don’t HAVE to bathe them or rub the revolution off after two hours but since it is a concern for you, I think a baby wipe will be good.

ah okay, I understand.

I don’t think I will purchase the collars as they will most likely take a long time to come in. Does anyone know of the effects kitten revolution has on rats if ingested? Could it be fatal?

Would I be able to just get my one rat checked out as my one rats shown many scabs and my other rat shows absolutely no scabs at all. It is quite pricey here and costs maybe $30-$60 just to see the vet. I will still medicate both of the rats though.

How many times do I have to use the medication? Just once or..?

Do they have to be in their cage when they have it on so that it can spread around their cage and kill any mites that are in there or are they able to just be medicated when they are out of their cage during play time?

Thank you. All feedback is appreciated. Don’t be rude.

If you used more than prescribed , yeah it can be fatal. However if you stick to one drop per adult rat they’ll be fine. And yeah it’s a once a month kind of thing for cats and dogs, I’m not sure about rats though. And I think just checking one rat should be fine because if one has it they all have it. And it doesn’t matter if it’s in or out of the cage, you still need to deep clean. Wash and disinfect everything in and around the cage.

Weird thing about this situation.
I took one of my boys out to check to see if he had any scabs like my other rat and I found that one of my boys has boo boos but no signs of bugs whereas my other boy has bugs but shows no signs of boo boos. It’s weird. Shouldn’t they both have both? One has absolutely no scabs and the other has absolutely no bugs. They were tiny little dark bugs. I wasn’t sure at first but I believe I saw them moving. Are these notes or do you think they are fleas? They looked WAY too small to be fleas though. I am going to try to get the kitten revolution. I know that it is recommended to take them in to assess the situation but is it necessary? Can I just go in and get the kitten revolution or should I get one of them looked at by the vet? The vet isn’t really trust worthy so I don’t know how much I trust her opinion on my rats health.

Don’t be rude.

That sounds like lice or rat mange mite. Some rats are very good at hiding symptoms, even scabs. You can just treat them if you want. Just remember not to overdose.
ratmange.jpg Rat mange mites
ratlice.jpeg Lice
I found this article from around 2008 on other possible treatments and what ectoparasites (lice,mites) look like on a rat.
http://lilspazrathospice.blogspot.com/2016/11/whats-on-my-rat-ectoparasites.html

That sounds like lice or rat mange mite. Some rats are very good at hiding symptoms, even scabs. You can just treat them if you want. Just remember not to overdose.
View attachment 12303 Rat mange mites
View attachment 12304 Lice
I found this article from around 2008 on other possible treatments and what ectoparasites (lice,mites) look like on a rat.
http://lilspazrathospice.blogspot.com/2016/11/whats-on-my-rat-ectoparasites.html

Thank you for your help. The link says that I can treat them with Revolution so I am going to still do that. The bugs that I found on my one rat aren't as big as the ones in the photos you have provided. I just find it very unusual that my one rat has scabs but absolutely no bugs and the other has bugs but absolutely no scabs. I had them both out individually for quite some time just looking through their fur and found only traces of one and not the other on both of them. I will just treat them without getting them checked by the vet if you think that is a good choice. I just don't trust their vet, she doesn't do much to help my boys.

Ok I just read through and there's a ton of misinformation in this thread so I'll simplify it

Revolution is very safe and rats tolerate it well. If you check.the MSDS it takes a TON of it for LD50 in rats (much safer than ivermectin by far). Kitten/Puppy and Cat are all 60 mg/ml concentration, while Dog is the same formulation but stronger at 120 mg/ml so you would use half as much. You can dose Revo at 6-10 mg/kg.

I order my Revo online but you can check with friends, family or even your vet to see if they have any.

As a rescuer I usually dose ALL incoming rats as a preventative with no issues.

You express the tube into a small bottle with a tight lid/cap, pull up.your dose and part the fur on the back of the shoulders or neck, trying to get the med as much on the skin as possible. It absorbs quickly through the skin into the bloodstream this way. I usually dose and walk away, no e-collars or distraction. Remember to put your lid back on right away as the alcohol part will evaporate quickly and it will dry up.

Here's the article I made up to show the difference between mites and lice, although yours sounds like a case of mites from your description.

http://lilspazrathospice.blogspot.com/2016/11/whats-on-my-rat-ectoparasites.html?m=1

Ok I just read through and there's a ton of misinformation in this thread so I'll simplify it

Revolution is very safe and rats tolerate it well. If you check.the MSDS it takes a TON of it for LD50 in rats (much safer than ivermectin by far). Kitten/Puppy and Cat are all 60 mg/ml concentration, while Dog is the same formulation but stronger at 120 mg/ml so you would use half as much. You can dose Revo at 6-10 mg/kg.

I order my Revo online but you can check with friends, family or even your vet to see if they have any.

As a rescuer I usually dose ALL incoming rats as a preventative with no issues.

You express the tube into a small bottle with a tight lid/cap, pull up.your dose and part the fur on the back of the shoulders or neck, trying to get the med as much on the skin as possible. It absorbs quickly through the skin into the bloodstream this way. I usually dose and walk away, no e-collars or distraction. Remember to put your lid back on right away as the alcohol part will evaporate quickly and it will dry up.

Here's the article I made up to show the difference between mites and lice, although yours sounds like a case of mites from your description.

http://lilspazrathospice.blogspot.com/2016/11/whats-on-my-rat-ectoparasites.html?m=1

So I don’t need to worry about what may happen if they ingest the revolution? I am going to go to the vet to purchase it. I was going to medicate both rats because I know that since one has it, they both have it.

1) Would I be able to just use it out of the tube instead of transferring to a new bottle?

2) What is your outlook on the whole situation of one having bugs but no scabs and the other having no bugs but having scabs?

3) Do you think it is alright to just medicate them or do you think I should take them in to see the vet? You have already diagnosed it and told me what you think is right and you are an experienced rat owner so I trust your judgement over my current vet who doesn’t know much about rats.

4) Would I be able to just put a drop on the back of their necks/ between the shoulders or do I have to measure it out first? I won’t put a huge glob on or anything.

5) You said that it soaks in, does that mean that if they groom themselves or each other, it won’t be harmful to them?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for your feedback and input and thank you for correcting the misinformation.

I'm not meaning for this to come off as rude or condescending, but this Kitten Revolution will work just like if you were to apply a flea and tick preventative treatment to your dog or cat. To the extent of my knowledge, Kitten Revolution isn't meant or formulated to be consumed like some types of flea and tick preventative for dogs. My dog gets this consumable flea and tick preventative once a month as a "treat."

Personally, I wouldn't let them ingest it since Revolution is technically a poison aimed and dosed for killing parasites such as mites, lice, and whatever else may be on your rat's skin. I think what lilspaz68 means is that when it's absorbed, the skin will absorb it and then it will filter into their bloodstream, so when the external parasites attempt to consume your rat's blood, they'll be poisoned and die.

What I did when I had a lice issue was that I treated them, let it sit for about an hour, and then bathed them afterwards, all the while making sure they didn't groom themselves or others (which was hard because my one rat loves licking over rats).
EDIT: I did put a tiny spot in between their shoulder blades and let it sit.

As you've mentioned before, you don't think your vet is very knowledgeable in rats, so I would think it's a waste of money to bring them to the same vet and then not trusting his or her diagnosis. Honestly, if you are seeking a vet's opinion this much, I would at least call a vet you believe to be knowledgeable about rats and see if they can talk to you and advise you over the phone.

I prefer to decant into another bottle because just squeezing the tube can give you an inaccurate dose, it's much easier to pull up.an exact dose for each rat and apply it. (Give me their weights and I can work out doses). Plus you will be able to keep the leftovers if you need to re-dose for some reason. IF a rat licks it by mistake it won't hurt them in the amount you are giving. I usually put it on the back of the neck or part the fur beside the ear and put it on the skin as best as you can. It absorbs through very fast leaving behind an alcohol smell and a rat trying to scratch at the spot for a few minutes. The alcohol may stay damp on the fur but it's not a big deal.
Have you looked at the pics in the article I posted? Mites are invisible to the eye so you will only see scabs and possible hair loss. Lice you will.see moving about.
You have to dose all rats just in case. IF the scabs don't resolve in a few weeks (they will heal, dry and come off) then you may be looking at a bacterial infection of the skin but these aren't usually little scabs but angry looking lesions. We'll go there if it's needed.

As for safety of Revolution/selamectin. The MSDS has it at LD50 oral in rats (meaning lethal dose to 50% of rats if ingested) at >1600 mg/kg. You are dosing at 6-10 mg/kg, so a much lower,safer but still effective dose.

I'm not meaning for this to come off as rude or condescending, but this Kitten Revolution will work just like if you were to apply a flea and tick preventative treatment to your dog or cat. To the extent of my knowledge, Kitten Revolution isn't meant or formulated to be consumed like some types of flea and tick preventative for dogs. My dog gets this consumable flea and tick preventative once a month as a "treat."

Personally, I wouldn't let them ingest it since Revolution is technically a poison aimed and dosed for killing parasites such as mites, lice, and whatever else may be on your rat's skin. I think what lilspaz68 means is that when it's absorbed, the skin will absorb it and then it will filter into their bloodstream, so when the external parasites attempt to consume your rat's blood, they'll be poisoned and die.

What I did when I had a lice issue was that I treated them, let it sit for about an hour, and then bathed them afterwards, all the while making sure they didn't groom themselves or others (which was hard because my one rat loves licking over rats).
EDIT: I did put a tiny spot in between their shoulder blades and let it sit.

As you've mentioned before, you don't think your vet is very knowledgeable in rats, so I would think it's a waste of money to bring them to the same vet and then not trusting his or her diagnosis. Honestly, if you are seeking a vet's opinion this much, I would at least call a vet you believe to be knowledgeable about rats and see if they can talk to you and advise you over the phone.

I wasn't saying that I was going to feed it to my rats. I was asking if i needed to worry if they licked it off of themselves or each other. I know that it is used like any other flea, or mite treatment and that's how I was explaining it as. You may have just misread what I was trying to say. I am not "letting" them eat it, I am just worried that they might.

I too think that it is a waste of time and money going to the same vet when they do absolutely NOTHING to help my rats and their situation. She is the only vet near me that is able to treat rats (even though she isn't that good at it). I honestly don't trust anyone anymore so going to another vet is pretty risky for me, I don't want to waste more money on useless information.

EDIT:
this wasn't meant to sound rude, I am just trying to explain.

Last edited:
I prefer to decant into another bottle because just squeezing the tube can give you an inaccurate dose, it's much easier to pull up.an exact dose for each rat and apply it. (Give me their weights and I can work out doses). Plus you will be able to keep the leftovers if you need to re-dose for some reason. IF a rat licks it by mistake it won't hurt them in the amount you are giving. I usually put it on the back of the neck or part the fur beside the ear and put it on the skin as best as you can. It absorbs through very fast leaving behind an alcohol smell and a rat trying to scratch at the spot for a few minutes. The alcohol may stay damp on the fur but it's not a big deal.
Have you looked at the pics in the article I posted? Mites are invisible to the eye so you will only see scabs and possible hair loss. Lice you will.see moving about.
You have to dose all rats just in case. IF the scabs don't resolve in a few weeks (they will heal, dry and come off) then you may be looking at a bacterial infection of the skin but these aren't usually little scabs but angry looking lesions. We'll go there if it's needed.

As for safety of Revolution/selamectin. The MSDS has it at LD50 oral in rats (meaning lethal dose to 50% of rats if ingested) at >1600 mg/kg. You are dosing at 6-10 mg/kg, so a much lower,safer but still effective dose.

Ah I see. What kind of bottle would work best? Could I pick something up for the dollar store? One of my boys (with scabs, no bugs) is 1.3 pounds, while the other (with bugs, no scabs) is 1.2 or 1.3 I believe. I have looked at the link that you attached. The bugs on my one boy are dark tiny tiny bugs. I could try to get a photo but it would be quite difficult. As I said before, I will be treating both rats.

I've asked some of the other users and I am not sure if you answered but how long do I need to keep it on them for and also do I have to clean it off of them after a set amount of time? I've been told both 1 hour and 2 hours so I don't know which is more accurate. I was also told to bathe them afterwards but I have already stated that my one rat absolutely HATES baths and screams when I try to give him one, I could try though if necessary. I have also been told that I could just wipe it off with a baby wipe instead. How often do I have to treat them? Every day? Every week? Every month? Sorry for all of the questions but I like to know all that I can about situations like this.

Thank you.

I wasn't saying that I was going to feed it to my rats. I was asking if i needed to worry if they licked it off of themselves or each other. I know that it is used like any other flea, or mite treatment and that's how I was explaining it as. You may have just misread what I was trying to say. I am not "letting" them eat it, I am just worried that they might.

I too think that it is a waste of time and money going to the same vet when they do absolutely NOTHING to help my rats and their situation. She is the only vet near me that is able to treat rats (even though she isn't that good at it). I honestly don't trust anyone anymore so going to another vet is pretty risky for me, I don't want to waste more money on useless information.

EDIT:
this wasn't meant to sound rude, I am just trying to explain.
I understand, I was just saying that I would be hesitant to even allow them to lick it off of themselves or each other, but lilspaz68 cleared it up for me. I find it so hard to find decent information online, so I'm always a little nervous to let my animals lick it.

you don't need to bathe your rats after. The smell goes within an hour and the rats are fine. :)

if you can find a wee bottle at the Dollar Store go for it :)

visible buggies are lice. I have linked my article with pics. You treat once. It stays effective for almost a month which is longer than the full life cycle of the ectoparasite.

Have you ever posted a closeup pic of the scabs? Or can you compare them to my rats in the pics of the article?

you don't need to bathe your rats after. The smell goes within an hour and the rats are fine. :)

if you can find a wee bottle at the Dollar Store go for it :)

visible buggies are lice. I have linked my article with pics. You treat once. It stays effective for almost a month which is longer than the full life cycle of the ectoparasite.

Have you ever posted a closeup pic of the scabs? Or can you compare them to my rats in the pics of the article?

alright, thank you. I will have to check out the dollar store to see if I can find any small bottles. Do I need to get a syringe also or is the bottle fine? The treatment lasts a month? wow, that's interesting. I did take a photo of one of the worse scabs that the one boy has but I do not have access to uploading at the moment as I am writing this on a computer and the photo is on my phone. I can try to take more photos then post them when I can.

Back