Hair loss, red sores around mouth and constant itching!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Julia

When these symptoms first began I took my rat Rosie to the vet, they said it was most likely mites so both my rats have now been treated for mites and I've cleaned everything thoroughly.

Rosie was also on antibiotics for her sores, but she just started to get worse so I took her back a few weeks later and they said it could be dermatitis. So now she's on antibiotics again but does not seem to be getting better.

She pulls out her hair and scratches her skins so there is bleeding and scabs, she's lost hair all around her mouth and has red sores. Her feet are really red and the skin is peeling off.

I try really hard to keep her stress free and in a clean environment, I'm really worried about her because she just doesn't seem to be getting any better. She still eats and drinks really well though.

Would really appreciate any advice anyone has or similar experiences?

I have NEVER ever hat this kind of problem with my two ratties! It must be devastating! I really want to help you so here are some things that might help:

If you can, try to bathe your rats at least once a week. (I use baby shampoo so it doesn't hurt their eyes) maybe you could put special rash cream in the water too. (Remember, be gentle.)

If you do wash your rats daily then try putting rash or exema cream on the sore spots. don't let it be just a one-time thing, if it seems to work then continue to use it. Make sure it's free is dyes, Fragrance, masking fragrance or lanolin. These are bad for the skin.

Remember, this could just be a birth defect or Rosie may have intelectual problems, if she never had any of this before you got her, she could have a bug that came from her cage. If she came with this, then it might be the breeder or where she came from.

Thanks for the reply, its been really stressful! And my other rattie so completely fine and healthy. I've got a dog shampoo for sensitive skin and dermatitis from my vet that I have been using but she absolutely hated it, but I might have to just keep bathing her to see if it helps.

Thanks for your advice!

Hi Julia. I'm sorry you and Rosie are having so much trouble. It sounds like they guessed about mites, and maybe lice are more likely. What did they use to treat the "mites"? If it was Revolution, that should've done the trick, but if not...sounds like she still has some bugs. Also, which antibiotic did he give you, what dose, and for how long? The feet sound worrisome too, though, and unrelated to parasites. Has she gotten any sort of chemical on them, or any harsh shampoo or anything they might be reacting to? I hate to say it, but it also sounds like you need to try to find a better vet, one who actually knows something about rats, which the vast majority do not, no matter what they say! That includes my main vet, who's great with the dogs and cat, but I only take my rats to him for pts:(
Can you ask some people in your area who have rats if they know a good rat vet?

Can you possibly post pics of Rosie's face and feet? Maybe someone else can offer suggestions. All I can say at this time is please try to find a vet who is more knowledgeable about rats, quickly.

BTW, just for mentioning, maybe you should try a different shampoo because the dog shampoo could have a chemical that is harmful to rats but fine for other animals. I'd highly suggest some sort of baby shampoo because its soft to the skin. And it doesn't hurt their eyes. (This may be why your rat hated the dog shampoo.)

Another thing worth noting, your rat may have a foot problem called "Bumble Foot" it is a foot injury a rat has when it is constantly walking of metal bars. Their feet swell up and tend to have rashes all over them. This may be the case. To stop or help stop it you can put fleece (that you can get from the nearest fabric store) on any surface where the rats are stepping or sleeping on. Make sure you constantly switch out the old fabric out for new fabric. Especially if the rats are not potty-trained because the pee that collects on the fleece might be bad for the rashing all over your rats-including their feet.

PS. It may be an allergic reaction.

Hopefully lilspaz68 will respond to this post. If she doesn't, then please message her

Please post pictures of her sores, any irritated skin and her feet.

What meds is she on? the strength (mg/ml)? the dose (ml)?
What is her weight?

Describe what you used and what you did to treat the mites.
When was this?

How long has she had the sores?

The red on the bottom of her feet is likely bumble foot.
Here is some info on it as well as how to treat it. http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/ulcerative_pododermatitis.php

She may have pyoderma or parasities. Post the pictures and info and lilspaz68 will be able to let you know.
If that is what she has lilspaz68 will give you specific info on how it needs to be treated.

Pictures can help a lot. There's multiple things it can be ranging from bacterial infection caused by scratching at the mites (pyoderma), parasites like demodex mites (is her skin pinker than normal?), And even sadly a type of skin cancer.
So pics would be helpful to try to help you determine what's going on. I've dealt with pyoderma and demodex and have pics of those, and a friend's rat had the cancer and she's a vasc history on ratguide.com.
So yes, pics, how mites were treated (if ivermectin, how often and what frequency), and what antibiotics now?

Yes, I agree with both lilspaz68, and SQ. We are probably the best help you can get. Besides a trained, sophisticated, and smart vet for rats. The point is, we can be that for you, and for free too! It's also near you so please give us more information on your rat and we might be able to help alot more than you think.

Back