Gurgling sound while breathing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanetLovesRats

Is there anything I can do to help my rat breathe easier?

I have a male who is almost 2 years old. He's been having some respiratory issues, so he was put on Baytril and doxycycline for 14 days, and improved significantly.

This round of antibiotics ended 10 days ago, and yesterday I noticed him sneezing and making a gurgling sound while he breathes. Today the gurgling is more pronounced, and I'm worried he may be struggling to catch his breath. He's slightly more lethargic than normal. I can't tell if the gurgling is from possible nasal congestion, or his lungs. I've started him again today on the baytril and doxycycline to continue for another 14 days.

We're in the middle of moving, so going to a vet isn't really possible for at least a week.

He's not gasping for breath exactly, but he does seem to be struggling a bit. We've given him a bit of dark chocolate and have been trying to help him breath with a humidifier. Am I doing the right things? What else can I do to help him right now?

I have an inhaler, and I've read that its possible to give albuterol to a rat that's struggling to breathe in an emergency, is this a viable option? Or is it too risky?

Thank you!

He needs to go to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats now!
IMO he can not wait a week

When rats have a respiratory infection, if meds are helping then need to stay on the meds for at least 4 to 6 weeks .... if meds are not helping then the vet needs to add more medication or change the medication.

Good that you put him back on antibiotics and I hope it will help But it sounds like he is much worse then previously and likely need more or different medication then before. I am wondering if he has pneumonia. Please get him checked out by a good vet asap
and if antibiotics help then he needs to stay on them at least 4 to 6 weeks. 14 days just reduces symptoms but is not long enough to make a rat better so the symptoms soon reappear.
http://ratguide.com/health/lower_respiratory/pneumonia.php
If he has fluid in his lungs then increasing humidity will make him worse.
A tiny bit of dark chocolate is used to try to keep an airway open until you can get a rat to the vet.

You may also want to post on "real rat lovers want to know" on Facebook

He needs to go to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats now!
IMO he can not wait a week

When rats have a respiratory infection, if meds are helping then need to stay on the meds for at least 4 to 6 weeks .... if meds are not helping then the vet needs to add more medication or change the medication.

Good that you put him back on antibiotics and I hope it will help But it sounds like he is much worse then previously and likely need more or different medication then before. I am wondering if he has pneumonia. Please get him checked out by a good vet asap
and if antibiotics help then he needs to stay on them at least 4 to 6 weeks. 14 days just reduces symptoms but is not long enough to make a rat better so the symptoms soon reappear.
http://ratguide.com/health/lower_respiratory/pneumonia.php
If he has fluid in his lungs then increasing humidity will make him worse.
A tiny bit of dark chocolate is used to try to keep an airway open until you can get a rat to the vet.

You may also want to post on "real rat lovers want to know" on Facebook
Thank you so much for the reply, I'll try to get to a vet ASAP

Back