Growth Removal - Aftercare

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elricsgirl

Hello! My sweet girl had surgery to remove a couple of mammary growths on Tuesday. She's doing pretty well, but hates her hospital cage. I've been moving it into my bedroom at night so that I can keep an eye on her.

How soon can I move her back into her multi-level cage? I'm worried that she'll pull something when she's climbing her ramps, but I do tend to over-worry. She also has no cage mates to bother her wound.

Thanks in advance!

Disclaimer: I've discussed getting her a cage mate at length with her vet - who is a loving rat owner herself - and we've decided that with my rattie's health issues and personality (she is a rescued lab rat who has never liked being around other rats), she's okay right now. She's rarely alone since I work from home and her cage lives in my office.

Attachments

• 57307134627__19A6FE57-95A6-4312-A926-1542229818DB.jpg
    57307134627__19A6FE57-95A6-4312-A926-1542229818DB.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 110
You can put your sweet girl back now. :) I rarely keep rats in a hospital cage unless its a very serious surgery and they aren't dealing well initially, or if their cagemates bother them when they are trying to rest and recover. Or if they have staples which a cagemate might try to help the patient remove. I usually request surgical glue as my skin closure and internal dissolvable stitches for internal.

You can put your sweet girl back now. :) I rarely keep rats in a hospital cage unless its a very serious surgery and they aren't dealing well initially, or if their cagemates bother them when they are trying to rest and recover. Or if they have staples which a cagemate might try to help the patient remove. I usually request surgical glue as my skin closure and internal dissolvable stitches for internal.

Thank you! She has incisions in two different places, so I've been a little paranoid. Our vet used internal stitches and glue to close. :)

Back