Grooming Revolution Off

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shelley said:
I don't recommend sleeping next to an FN with 9 girls, 8 of them which are under a year old. I didn't know rats could MAKE that much noise. I'm so tired, and I could have just walked upstairs to my bed and had a good sleep.. but instead tormented myself to the rampaging of 6 sisters play fighting all night. :lol:

Since my condo is so small, I had to quarantine Basil in my bedroom. On his very first night, he woke me up shortly after midnight by shredding his paper towels.

That wasn't what kept me up... I made the "mistake" of peeking into the cage. There were pieces of shredded towel flying up around him. I laughed so hard I almost cried. It must have taken me an hour to get back to sleep. :D

Linda said:
And one more question...how many times should they be treated with Revolution? Does one treatment usually do the trick?

from what I understand, from my vet, it depends on the severity of their skin condition. When I first brought Ben and Jerry home, they were treated for fur mites. Each rat received 3 treatments extending over 6 weeks. They received their first treatment the day of the vet visit and then I gave them their second dose 3 weeks later and the third dose 3 weeks after that.

Basil's skin condition was really good and the vet couldn't find any mites on him. Nevertheless, he was biting and scratching himself so he was treated with only 2 treatments. (Ben also received 2 more treatments just to be on the safe side).

I hope this makes sense...LOL!!!! :wink:

You may find that they still scratch them self for a couple of weeks, but that's only because their skin is itchy from heeling scabs.

jennifervb said:
Linda said:
And one more question...how many times should they be treated with Revolution? Does one treatment usually do the trick?

from what I understand, from my vet, it depends on the severity of their skin condition. When I first brought Ben and Jerry home, they were treated for fur mites. Each rat received 3 treatments extending over 6 weeks. They received their first treatment the day of the vet visit and then I gave them their second dose 3 weeks later and the third dose 3 weeks after that.

Basil's skin condition was really good and the vet couldn't find any mites on him. Nevertheless, he was biting and scratching himself so he was treated with only 2 treatments. (Ben also received 2 more treatments just to be on the safe side).

I hope this makes sense...LOL!!!! :wink:

That does make sense. If they've got tons, then it would make sense to do it more than one. I had never heard of every 3 weeks though. Interesting.

Some people say 1 dose of Rev is fine, others say 2: one dose a week for two weeks.

mine is once a month, but if its a bad infestation you can dose again after 3 weeks, I would say a week later is too soon, since the concentration is still heavily in the body.

Ah, that's where the three weeks comes from.
I'm so used to Ivermectin, I pretty much don't know anything for Revolution.
That's good to know, once a month for Rev. or 3 weeks if it's bad.

I let my vet know what was said on this post (she's very open to advice from experienced human companions) and since I am treating my rats as a preventative measure (I just adopted a new boy) we will wait another three weeks and see if there are any signs.

Back