{GOT IT}Seriously considering CN but it's a big purchase ...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missnikki

I know I have heard sooooo many good things here about CN's but I want more opinions and info on it ...

I am considering getting the double CN for my girls (I know it's a lot of space for two rats but my boyfriend is also insisting that the bigger the better, soo...). It's a pretty big purchase for me so I want to make sure I am making the right decision.

Tell me about your experience with your CN and which Canadian company you ordered it from??

Thanks!!

{I got it! Yay! }

If you have more specific questions we might be able to help better. I'll try though.

I love my critter nation. The full opening doors make cleaning a breeze, you can reach everything very easily. The large footprint is awesome for older rats who can't get around as well. The height adjustable shelves are great for allowing more versatility with decorating. It is very easy to decorate, there is a lot of room and plenty of spaces to hang things from. It is easy to do quick cleans and just wipe everything down and change bedding. They are very attractive cages, not an eyesore like some cages. They look more like furniture than a cage. I don't regret my purchase at all.

The biggest problem with the cage for me was the shallow plastic pans, but I have purchased deep metal pans for it.

Also, it doesn't hurt the rats for there to be two of them in a DCN, I had two in a DCN when I first got my rats, but don't be surprised if they mostly stay on the top level. Even a single CN is a huge cage for two, it is hard to realize how big the cage is until you see one in person. Also bear in mind the extra work involved in cleaning and decorating a DCN instead of a SCN. It is fine to get a DCN for two, I just thought I'd mention that.

I've had many rat cages, some temp cages or cages for my fosters, and the CN is the best cage I've used. The martins was a close second.

I just got my single. I am using it for my bunny and love it. It is huge, easy to clean and she can run around like crazy. I was going to order it from chinchilla.ca ... but it would have cost me $50 more than what I ended up paying by going through an American site.

I was gunna order from chinchilla as well but not sure now ...

I live in BC, Canada.

Have checked around pretty much everywhere in my local vicinity and not found anyone who carries the CN. Went and looked at an FN today but bars looked too wide and I'm worried the girls would get out..

I live in BC too. I have a friend who works at a pet supply store called Tisol on the lower mainland. She says that they carry the double CN!

It's so worth it. I mean, I don't have one, but I have a similar cage, the feisty ferret home (cheaper, but still expensive), and it was so worth it, even my boyfriend agrees, and he never has to clean it, and the ease of cleaning is my favorite thing about it...and the CN is easier to clean than mine, because mine doesn't have two doors on the front, just one...so instead of being totally open front, it's half open.

I live in BC too! I love my CN, I have a single right now but I'm going to be getting an-add on (or possibly a double if someone in BC wants my single..) I found the ones in BC to be terribly expensive, so I bought mine from amazon.com and had it shipped to a US address.

The tissol in Langley carries them I believe they were around $400 for the double, and there is a place in richmond (it think its PJ's pets or something like that) that has them as well.

I would highly recommend it. I only have three rats - and I only had two when I bought my double CN - but as they say, it's always best to have the biggest cage you can afford. I love the doors the most, I think. I used to get so frustrated cleaning my old Rat Resort cage with it's little door barely big enough to fit my arm in, I used to end up taking the cage apart every single day to clean it and it was a huge pain. I have fleece liners in my CN. It takes about an hour to clean the whole thing on a day when I'm changing the liners and scrubbing the cage down, and only about ten minutes on the in-between days to wipe up poops that missed the litter boxes. I wouldn't own any other cage, and at this point, if I was considering another species to keep (which I'm not,) I probably wouldn't get one that couldn't be kept in a CN.

Ahhhh! I'm so excited! Called PJ's Pets in Richmond and they have the critter nation double for 329! At Tisol it was over 420 dollars! Ridiculous! So I'm zipping over to PJ's tonite after work! They have single and double CN's there! A single is 199 dollars they said. So, ppl in BC near Vancouver check out PJ's!!

missnikki said:
Ahhhh! I'm so excited! Called PJ's Pets in Richmond and they have the critter nation double for 329! At Tisol it was over 420 dollars! Ridiculous! So I'm zipping over to PJ's tonite after work! They have single and double CN's there! A single is 199 dollars they said. So, ppl in BC near Vancouver check out PJ's!!

Yeah, I live in Richmond and that is seriously the only place that carries them. I asked the man at the Richmond Tisol and he said they didn't have them, because PJ has them. It's unfortunate because that means more money for the pet industry, but at least in the past few months their rat care has become much better.

missnikki said:
So, ppl in BC near Vancouver check out PJ's!!
That is pretty cool. If I lived on the mainland, I would have gone to pick it up myself. ... But I live over on the Island and don't drive... so paying $225cad and having it brought right to my door was so worth it. hehe :)

I seriously can't wait to get off work and go pick this thing up - I don't drive either but my boyfriend does, so yay!

lol It is exciting waiting for it. I kept checking the tracking every day on mine... and on my first day off of the week (last Thursday) I checked it and since the night before they added that it was in Vancouver the night before, then it was in Nanaimo the morning I checked. I was so excited that I ran out onto the front steps and sat there waiting for the truck. XDD

So finally got it night before last, and at first after assembling it, Ruby was scared to go inside - but Duchess ran in right away and eventually Ruby followed. Duchess so far seems to sleep on the bottom floor, and Ruby on the top. Lol. I'm worried they wont spend enough time together anymore!! But they seem to love it!

Back