Good Tips for Double Rex Rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egg and Dak

We just got this lovely little lady Miss Honey, who is a double rex. She is our first hairless rat (we have thirteen other regular rats) and we were just hoping to get some helpful tips to give her the best life possible!
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1591408283281_6674850128201720312.jpg

Since they have little to no fur nakies are a little more prone to cuts and stuff, but as long as they scab up and aren't reopened they heal pretty fast (One of my boys is a double rex as well and we had a bit of a scare when he was little due to him getting a big scratch from his brother but it was healed within the week). I would also make sure there skin doesn't get too dry and if it does put a little bit of coconut oil on them, though I wouldn't use too much as it can cause diarrhea. Also be careful about the bedding you're using so it doesn't cause any scratches, and make sure that the cage is free of anything that could scratch her up. I've also noticed that with my hairless boy he tends to get cold really often (Most of the time hes under a pile of blankets or cuddled up next to one of his brothers) so make sure you have plenty of fleece scraps and hammocks to keep her warm! If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and I'll answer them as best as i can!

Back