Good pee absorbers?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitchiq

I always preferred using fleece, but I would lay a towel or something down underneath the fleece. I never had any issues with my girls swallowing towel bits or getting stuck in the towel or anything, but I've heard some true horror stories. Maybe I was just lucky, even though they really did tear towels to pieces.

I was wondering what everyone else uses to absorb pee under their fleece.

I've heard that U-Haul Furniture Pads are a super-absorbent, safe, easy-to-clean Godsend. Does anyone have personal experience with this? Because I am so there for a magical pee-sucker-upper :laugh:

I love the Uhaul liners!! They get messy when chewed up. My boys love going under the fleece to sleep. I'm planning to make liners hopefully that'll stop them from chewing the uhaul blankets.

Thank you!

I love the Uhaul liners!! They get messy when chewed up. My boys love going under the fleece to sleep. I'm planning to make liners hopefully that'll stop them from chewing the uhaul blankets.

I ordered some a little while ago, so that's what my boys are currently on, along with some fleece. They've been here less than a day, but so far no one's tried to chew the fleece or get under it. Angus, however, loves making a mess of all the extra fleece scraps I left in there for them lol.

I'm wondering if it would be better to put fleece on both sides of the liner? any ideas on this? Brand new here!

I'm wondering if it would be better to put fleece on both sides of the liner? any ideas on this? Brand new here!

I don't see any reason for fleece on both sides of the liner, unless you're making a fancy-schmancy cage liner with the U-haul liner sewn/tucked between fleece. Really all you need is the U-haul liner clipped to the tray and fleece tucked over it. If there's fleece under the liner, you'll never see it and it will only get dirty with the pee that soaks through. Plus, it won't really serve a purpose because fleece isn't good for much more than looking nice and keeping them warm; it's awful for absorption.

Welcome to The Shack!

ok - I just thought it might keep the u-haul pad nicer. Wasn't sure. I had to order the pad b/c they wouldn't sell me one. thanks :)

I'm actually going to be making liners with the Uhaul liner between 2 pieces of fleece. I've heard it helps the liners last longer.

The Uhaul blankets that I have under a layer of fleece are completely ruined. I'm hoping it'll work

How are the liners cleaned after? I clean my cage twice a day, throw my fleece in the wash, can the liners be washed as well? Those liners should be changed and cleaned fairly often I would think, if it soaks up urine, you don't want to just leave that in there for longer than a couple of days, that's a liner full of bacteria after a couple of days.

How are the liners cleaned after? I clean my cage twice a day, throw my fleece in the wash, can the liners be washed as well? Those liners should be changed and cleaned fairly often I would think, if it soaks up urine, you don't want to just leave that in there for longer than a couple of days, that's a liner full of bacteria after a couple of days.

They're washer safe! You can just toss them in with the fleece and it should be fine; it says so on U-Haul's website.

I just ordered some of these, can't wait to see how they are to sew

I used to use terry cloth or diaper flannel in the middle of liners and it worked out well but wasn't easy to sew together some times

I just ordered some of these, can't wait to see how they are to sew

I used to use terry cloth or diaper flannel in the middle of liners and it worked out well but wasn't easy to sew together some times

The U-Haul liners work amazingly if you don't have extra messy rats who tear everything in their cage to pieces, lol! I bought some for my boys, but after a few weeks of constantly cleaning fleece and U-Haul liners (I didn't realize how much more fragrant boys were than ladies), I decided to bed them down on blank newsprint that I could roll up and toss out every 2-3 days. It's much easier, and my fleece lasts me a lot longer now, since I only give them a couple squares on top of their paper for them to make a nest with. If it wasn't for my teenage boys exploring their destructive side, I'd still have them on U-Haul liners and fleece!

hahahaha I never thought of boys as being fleece destroyers, for me, it's always been the girls

but right now I have 3 girls and none of them chew fleece! in fact, they don't really chew much of anything, they are too busy running in the wheel or exploring!
maybe this will change as they get older

do you think the UHaul pads can be sandwiched inside of two layers of fabric or would that be too thick?

hahahaha I never thought of boys as being fleece destroyers, for me, it's always been the girls

but right now I have 3 girls and none of them chew fleece! in fact, they don't really chew much of anything, they are too busy running in the wheel or exploring!
maybe this will change as they get older

do you think the UHaul pads can be sandwiched inside of two layers of fabric or would that be too thick?

There was someone else on this thread who planned on doing the same thing! I think it would be a little thick, but it would definitely make a nice, sturdy cage liner.

I got the Uhaul pads today but while the pkg says they can be washed, there are no instructions,

do you have to use cold water and/or a gentle cycle?

I do all my rat laundry in warm or hot water and use a regular cycle normally

I honestly don't think it matters; I just tossed it in with the rest of my rat fleece. The website just says "Soft, durable and washable - use over and over again". It's a pretty durable material (though it didn't hold up to my boys, lol!), so I would think putting it through a cycle with the rest of the rat laundry would be just fine.

Hey :) I wash all my Uhaul liners in hot water with my fleece without a problem. I currently have 2 sets of liners. I clean my cage about every 3 days and I've had them for a few months. Besides for the holes from the chewing they're still in great shape :)

I really would love to see pics when you're done.

I'd love to see pics of everyone's Uhaul liners!! :) I don't think it would work for mine thought because my crew is very destructive.

Back