Going Insane!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokiandskwis

Over night, BOTH of my boys developed lumps under their necks. One of the boys, Toki, had an abscess removed three weeks ago. He now has ANOTHER in the same place and so does his brother!! What on earth could this be? I dont have another 800$ to get both abscesses removed :( is this the result of inbreeding?
Does anyone have any ideas? Its just crazy that they both developed this at the same time! :(

I'm dealing with a rat that has a returning abscess right now. Compresses with warm water a few times a day helps. I don't think they're a huge deal, I wouldn't waste the $800 when you can do it yourself safely. That can be used for a more important issue in the future.

My rat got an abscess from a wound. Maybe others can help you figure out the reason your rats have them.

Is the lump in the same place, directly in the middle of their throat?

Where are you located?

ETA: New Zealand?

Hmmm, probably unlikely you have SDA there as you have strict import rules right?

I would just keep an eye on the lumps for now...if they are abscesses, they will come to a head eventually even without encouragement.

Are you able to post pictures of the lumps to give us a better idea of what is going on? I do agree, because of the timing, they are probably abscesses. Have they been playing rough these days?
Abscesses are usually never 'removed', but rather lanced and drained. Ideally you want the pus to come out. Sometimes it takes a while for the abscess to come to a head and pop on its own, but usually it will. The swelling will develop a dark spot where the tissue is dying, and then it will drain through that area. I cut the hair back on any swelling or injury so it is easier to assess.

Back