Gobblin's snip

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dena

So, after I caught on camera (yes I have 2 rat cams) Gobblin attacking skittle (who can barely move and pretty much lays there in one spot), I made an appointment for Gobblin to be neutered. I had also noticed a small cut on Fig's testicles. Pretty sure it was from Gobblin after seeing how he went after skittle for no reason. I also noticed on the camera, Gobblin walking around with his back arched like a cat, and fur sticking up. So I separated him from his brothers, and he has the whole top portion of a critter nation type cage to himself. Question is, what to expect tomorrow? The vet only uses gas. And does a full exam prior to the surgery. How long does healing take, how long until I can put him back with the others, and how much metacam do I give after? I'm sure the vet will tell me, but I want to double check. I'll get his weight in a few mins.

Big boy weighs 512 grams! He's only 5.5 months old! Going to be a chonky boy! 😂

NERVES! Just dropped Gobblin off to get his danglies snipped. He goes in between 2-3pm. Hoping there's no complications and he does well.....😟

Gobblin is home now, and still looks pretty sleepy. The vet told me to give .03ml of metacam. They gave him an injection for pain right before I picked him up. So when do I need to give him meds? He weighed 526 grams at the vet. I have 1.5mg/ml metacam. Also, I took out the shelf in his cage. Going to make it one level for a few days. Is this OK?

Ok Metacam dose is way too low unless you made a mistake with the decimal? 0.3 ml sounds about right.

After a day or so boys often act pretty normal when their pain is managed effectively in the beginning.

As for his hormonally aggressive ways it could take 2 weeks to a month before those hormones wane and he can be reintroduced. IF you can let him visit/have some Out time with his brothers every day starting in 1-2 days it should make it a lot easier to get him back in the group once he settles.
When did they say to give the first oral Metacam dose?

They didn't say when to give it. He did premedicate with something, then another med after, and metacam right before I picked him up.

ok you can give him the metacam this morning, 0.28 ml should be fine for a day or 2. Depending on if there's swelling or bruising after that you could give for longer.

You don't need to remove shelves, a neuter is a much more minor surgery than most.

How did they close the incisions? Glue?

I ended up putting his shelf back in around 10pm. He kept getting in his hanging space pod, so I figured he needed a stable way to get down. It looks like there are internal stitches, but there's absolutely no bruising, and only minor swelling. The incision is on the end of his testicles (or lack thereof). So far, it doesn't look like he's been licking or picking at the incision. I gave him meds this morning, and he really fought it. I know they are bitter. But he REALLY didn't want them. LOL. He has also been playful since around 10 last night.

I let gobblin and Fig play in their play area for about 15-20 mins today. Gobblin is still showing signs of aggression (as expected) so when he started getting a little rough, I decided it was time for him to go back to his cage. He is SUPER playful tonight, and I tried to get pics of his incision, but only got one that was decent. He's a wiggle worm!

Attachments

• D7260094-2A76-4749-888F-D9793B545E21.jpeg
    D7260094-2A76-4749-888F-D9793B545E21.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 143
  • DACEDC8F-4047-4A58-94D2-68A8B652E7AE.jpeg
    DACEDC8F-4047-4A58-94D2-68A8B652E7AE.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 140
  • D4BFDB50-2111-48F3-A104-BEBAA27CE1CC.jpeg
    D4BFDB50-2111-48F3-A104-BEBAA27CE1CC.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 143
So gobblin is doing SO GOOD! He has multiple play dates with Fig. But last night, I noticed Fig chasing gobblin (they chase, box, and bounce around all happy) but then he chomped his back TWICE! Now every time I let them play, he and gobblin will take turns power grooming. I expect this. But Fig is now 5 months, and I'm taking no chances. He gets the snip Monday! Here's to having a couple of good smelling boys, who won't pee on me (Gobblin was BAD about this, but completely stopped in the last week), and adding them to my girls in about a month!

Fig has his snip today, and apparently, Gobblin is a pretty famous rat up there. Everyone kept talking about him! They even got excited about fig, and took a video of him! 😂

The Dr did say 0.03ml of metacam. I asked did they mean 0.3 and she said no it was written 0.03. I don't even know how you could measure that little of a dose! LOL

On another note, when would it be safe to start intros with Gobblin and the girls? It will be 2 weeks tomorrow he had his snip.

So it appears that fig has chewed his incision open. Should I get this restitched? Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 885372C2-4DB2-456F-9364-E0E3AD2108B2.jpeg
    885372C2-4DB2-456F-9364-E0E3AD2108B2.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 128
Fig has his snip today, and apparently, Gobblin is a pretty famous rat up there. Everyone kept talking about him! They even got excited about fig, and took a video of him! 😂

The Dr did say 0.03ml of metacam. I asked did they mean 0.3 and she said no it was written 0.03. I don't even know how you could measure that little of a dose! LOL

On another note, when would it be safe to start intros with Gobblin and the girls? It will be 2 weeks tomorrow he had his snip.
0.03ml is the third tiny line. It IS a small amount though. 0.1ml is a normal starting point, but I have rarely given more than 0.2ml. I am giving 0.33 to my old girl for a leg issue right now and that's a LOT, even if she is morbidly obese.

If you’re introing your recently neutered boy to fertile girls then 2 weeks is definitely not long enough! They may no longer be producing sperm any longer at that point but it can take 4-6 weeks for everything to fully work it’s way out of their system. If you are introing to other boys you don’t have to wait so long as you are just waiting for hormones to settle but with girls definitely better be safe than sorry!!
From a concerned reader with experience of neutered boys lol

Thank you everyone! I wasn't planning on letting either boy live together until fully healed. This included with females. I just want to see who meshes with who and try to form bonds with them. Gobblin still plays a little rougher than I think is OK, but with Oreo, my most dominant female, he gets what he dishes, and they play nicely (both being rough and tumble, super playful). He actually tried flipping her a couple of times, and she roughed him up, and then he stopped trying to be the top rat. For some reason though, he's still pretty rough with Fig. No puffed fur, no serious bites, just boxing, chasing (which both do, like a game), and lots of flipping and grooming. It just makes me nervous when he sniffs, and tries to groom Fig's incision.

Back