Glass Water Bottles

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinkwr

Hello,

For the many years I have had rats I have used plastic water bottles. Never much liked them but never had luck with the glass water bottles I would buy. I returned every single one of them. But I finally found a batch I like and ordered a full set for my cages.

I was curious cleaning habits for glass bottles?

For my plastic ones I would use hot water and every few weeks use hot water mixed with vinegar. I would swish it around and then use a baby brush to clean out the spouts. I stopped scrubbing the inside as that would scratch them up and get the funky smell and such from stuff hiding in the scratches that wouldn't get clean.

So... is does that sound okay for glass as well? Is it okay to use the cleaning brush inside glass bottles - no fear in scratching those with a soft bottle brush right?

It shouldn't scratch them no I use a baby bottle brush for my glass water bottle and I haven't gotten any scratches

Thanks everyone,

I was just unsure as I know I had questioned why my plastic ones get so "smelly" so quickly and my vet had mentioned if I cleaned them with a bottle brush that it can scratch the inside of plastic ones (even if you don't see it - like I could never see scratches) and that bacteria could grown in that and such. Smelt like old stale water even after washing them and such.

So glad I have glass ones coming! haha

What are the glass ones that you are using now? I want to buy a glass one for my girlies, but they seem expensive and I was worried about it being a waste of money.

GrayLightNewDay said:
What are the glass ones that you are using now? I want to buy a glass one for my girlies, but they seem expensive and I was worried about it being a waste of money.

I wouldn't see using glass ones as a waste at all! If anything I think it would save more in the long run (year or so) of not having to get new ones.

I currently got lixit, I got mine from Ferret Depot (http://www.ferretdepot.com/mm5/merchant ... terBottles)

I found them to be the best priced and around here our local stores sell plastic ones at $4 so I was more than happy to pay $.50 extra for glass. The only thing that I had to wait for and save up for was shipping. I bought 4 and it was $12 just for shipping.

The glass bottles I bought before (8 of them) were super pet and they were horrid! Every single one of them... They have 2 balls for a "Drip" safe thing and *none* of my rats could get them to work. I couldn't even get them to work with my finger. All 8 bottles for about a week. So I returned them all and wont touch them with a 10ft pole, lol!

I have plastic bottles and I find they use the one with the single ball more often thne the double. I ahve to switch the water in the double ball one but the other one I have to refil cause they drain it in a few days.

I use the similar way to clean my bottle. I brought a cleaning brush set for regular bottle washing, including plastic bottle washing and glass bottle washing. Sometimes I like to use baby bottle brush as well. That brush work well as well. With soft sponge, the brush won't damage the bottle.

Back