Giant Pouch Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDK

So one of my biggest issues with my 3 boys is that I know one day, whether it be in another year or if lucky, 4 more years, they will pass away. That's always been the hardest thing for me, or for any pet owner and that's losing your babies or best friend. So I've done research on rodents, as it turns out I love rodents alot, searching for that special rodent pet that could live longer then average! Esepcially rat or Guine Pig related, and I stummbled upon the giant Gambien Pouch Rat, or as they call it in Africa, the Hero Rat.

I thought these guys were the cutest things! They are litterally big brown rats the size of cats, very smart though can be social aggressive with each other ifnot careful. They do need some work trust wise, but otherwise they are rats, just 2-3lbs bigger lol! In Africa they are called Hero Rats because they are trained to seek out and dig up land mines in areas where civil war still goes on. It's amazing and terrifying the risks these little guys go through, but they are treated with high respect by their soldier bomb human partners, and feed delicious bananas for their efforts.

I did more research about their poltential pet capabilities and came to a rather upsetting conclusion. It is illegeal to import these guys from their native country in the USA because when a breeder from Illionios did so, he had containmenated rats that caused a small out break of the Monkey Pox, which is apparently carried by these guys (not sure how), and since they are bigger rodents they are very capable of carrying rabis as well. That said, the ones that are here in the USA, can be allowed to be sold and breed as pets. In Florida though they are considered a hazard to the native wildlife, what with there not being enough predators to deal with them. So that said, there's no way I could find one here in TX in an exotic pet store.

Why do I bring this up? Well these guys are still rats, they seem so cute and harmless despite all I've read up, but they are not native. Of what right do I have to say I wish I could have one as a pet? They live on a guarenteed average from 5-8yrs of age being the perk I saw about them. And they are so affectionate too as you can see in this video!

[BBvideo 450,375:wgsdhae2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=CFGj1o0W40Q&feature=endscreen[/BBvideo:wgsdhae2]

They are allowed as pets in the UK, they are not an invasive species there apparently unlike in the states. No I don't plan on getting one (probably never could even if I really really wanted to) but is it so bad that I wish I could and I admire them for their large ratty cutiness?

Hey EDK,

I've read a lot about them too. But I think I'm just going to have to stick to their more domesticated cousins. Some websites praise them to the heavens, and others offer a bit more cons. From my understanding, they shouldn't be allowed a big place to roam(like a whole room), because they see that as their "territory" and become-sometimes- aggressive over it, and mark it. Also, take the destruction your little small ratters do and multiply it by 10. That tiny hole in the couch cushion that took them 30 minutes to make so they could hide away, turns to a hole big enough to fit a cat in a matter of seconds.

Other than that, they are the most adorable thing on the planet, and I wish I had enough money/etc. to have one, so I can walk it down the street and scare away annoying neighborhood dogs. x]

I did read up on those gorgeous little guys. I was part of a rat forum with a lady who had a couple as a pet in Canada. It was illegal to have them here as well and this lady did tell us that these animals are definitely not domesticated and need constant socializing or they become aggressive.
I think it's sad though that we are trying to domesticate yet another wild animal. :(

jorats said:
I did read up on those gorgeous little guys. I was part of a rat forum with a lady who had a couple as a pet in Canada. It was illegal to have them here as well and this lady did tell us that these animals are definitely not domesticated and need constant socializing or they become aggressive.
I think it's sad though that we are trying to domesticate yet another wild animal. :(

I tend to agree... sometimes it's better to love them from afar. I know they're used as working animals in Africa and they do great work but that's not the same as a companion animal.

Degus (degu octodons) can be pretty social and live an equivalent life span.

*Sulks* you are all right, gah... it's so hard sometimes, but yes, they are wild and it's not right to have them as pets...I guess yes I can still admire from afar.

These guys are the rescue dogs of the rodent population it seems!

I wonder if their smaller counter part ratties that we all and love, instead of being used for HORRIBLE human experiments, might be used for something greater and more life saving like this! Like train our rats to seek out poisons or bomb threat smells in air plane cargos etc. Ok far fetched because they are smaller compared to the pouch rat, but still... Our rats could be used for more, aside from being the best pets around!

Back