Getting Pets

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

When I go to pet Lily she presses her whole body down and kind of streches out. She did this on the bed the other night and stayed like that for about 10 minutes while I was petting her. It's like she's flattening her body. Does this mean she likes it?

But then I know she's not the greatest at being picked up, I have been working with her on it, it's like she's a littls scared that she might be hurt or dropped. When we go to pick her up she clings to the bars... and she's VERY strong. So I am wondering if she is pressing her body down so she can't be picked up. Any Ideas?

If you watch rats, the alpha will do this to demand grooming. But with you, I would think it's because she's enjoying it. When you do pick her up, try to always scoop her with two hands instead of going over her body. This way, she may feel more secure.

See Ruby has the whole picking up down pat. She comes on the top of the cage and waits to be scooped up. Hazel is a little more difficult, but she will let you do it. Lily weasel's her way out of it. I think maybe what we should do is have all three of them on the top, and continually scoop Ruby up and put her down (after some cuddling of course) so they other two can learn it doesn't hurt and it results in good things.

That's a good idea. I had to do that with Fred and Archie, they are still skittish but will allow me to scoop them up for a short amount of time.

I think she may have some trust issues. She seems nervous when it comes to being picked up and such. It's strange, she picked me at the petstore, but it seems her trust is something totally different.

Has she been like this from the start or just recently? Sometimes when ratties mature, they become more weary and you just have to work harder on trust training/socilizing.

Hmm she's really always been like that. So it's rather my fault for letting it get this way. I will just continue working on her. She will learn that mommy's and daddy's hands = safety.

My Emma came from Petsmart, and it was a similar situation... she climbed in my lap and sat, but since she's always been a little more on the wary side. She is now much much better than she was but she always does the "splay" when I go to pick her up.... no matter what approach I take. That's one thing I've not been able to break her of.

The only thing I can think of is there is a deep setted fear because of how they were picked up at the pet store. I also found until a month and a half ago Lily tended to slink along like she would be walking but her hind end would be down farther then Ruby and Hazel. My poor baby, I have work to do. :(

Also keep in mind the general lack of socialization the pet store ratties have had... the only time they would have been would be to transfer cages, etc.

You do have work to do, but with time she will come around. Don't stress about it too much, and let her take it at her own pace. If you worry about it, she'll sense that.

Back