Getting new rats, not sure if my current one has mites

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratamunch

So back in february, one of my girls passed away after fighting an infection for a few months. In may, another one passed away suddenly from a stroke. For a little over a month, my last girl ophelia has been alone while i have been looking fof either a new home for her or an older buddy to adopt. I have found someone looking to rehome a bunch of older females, but recently my girl has been scratching and cleaning much more than often and last night i noticed she had little open sores (presumably from scratching herself) all along her shoulder area. Though this is most likely some kind of parasite, i remember reading something about how anxious or depressed rats clean themselves much more, and i have also been going heavier on the treats since she has been alone. Is it safe to assume its mites and get treatment before i introduce her to other rats or is it more likely caused by something else? Additionally, how do i introduce rats if there is a risk of mites?

Definitely sounds like classic mites. You need to treat your girl with Revolution and possibly any newbies you get. Make sure your old lady is more comfortable before intros.

Back