Getting baytril/dozy into your rat... what’s your trick!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicki

Just curious what everyone finds the best way to get baytril and doxy into their rats with the least amount of struggle?
Do you mix with nesquick/water or have a favorite food they take it with??
My rats love zithro but I always struggle with baytril and doxy so I was just curious.

Also, my vet says when doing baytril and doxy combo to do one in the am and the other in the pm... is that right or should it be both am/pm?? I seem to remember a couple years ago doing both daily.

Since both doxy and baytril need to be given twice a day, I give both in the morning and both in the evening. I believe it is better to give each med separately with some time in between (Jorats can tell you more about that), but I do not have that luxury so each of my rats gets all of their meds at the same time, twice a day (or however many times a day the med needs to be given)

I put 2 drops of organic maple syrup (real maple syrup) in a tiny dish, add each med for the rat, add a couple of drops of water, mix, and thicken with a tiny amount of baby cereal. Then I give it to the rat. My rats think this is a treat and each will quickly eat it out of the tiny dish containing that rat's meds ………………………. I used to use nesquik but decided that real organic maple syrup would be healthier. I also give meds that are not presweetened and are quite bitter which is why I add the sweetner

Last edited:
It should be both Baytril and doxy twice a day, at least to my knowledge.
Depending if you are mixing it yourself or you have a premixed version of the meds, I usually start by premixing the meds with water and strawberry Nesquick. Most of my rats have enjoyed the strawberry flavour so I think it's a safe choice, but you could also use the chocolate, Rolo, or something like maple syrup if you already have it.
If your meds are already premixed and there is no syrup added, add a few drops of syrup per dose and possibly a little bit of water to make more liquid, then you can add a very small amount of baby cereal/pablum (depending on how much liquid you have) to bulk it up a little bit and so it's easier to syringe into their mouths without having to worry about them breathing in the liquid or it spilling everywhere. Adding the baby cereal has really been the trick to making it much easier to medicate one of my rats in particular. You may also be able to put this mixture on a spoon instead of syringing it to them depending on how much they like to lick.

Thank you! I knew one in the am and one in the pm just didn’t sound right!

No the baytril and doxy I use isn’t premixed.

maple syrup... what a great idea!
My girls have been on baytril/doxy for a long time now and I struggled lots to be able to get it in them. Now I mix it up with oatmeal or peanut butter (previously mixed with water to the point where it wont even stick to your finger) and they love so much they get exited for medication time.

Back