gerhardt

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerhardtsMom

so I just got one rat bonding with her while she gets better from a stomach bug I will be getting a second rat after she feels better in a week or so.

Welcome to the forum :)

Because of disease it is best to get 2 from the same source at the same time or as close together as possible.

Rats do not get stomach bugs, so I hope you took her in to see a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats.
You might also want to post another thread about her stomach bug, provide info re symptoms, and meds she is on

mostly had diarrhea really bad, The breeder I got her from thought it was wet tail which is odd as rats sent get it, so i talked with the vet that put her on doxycycline 100mg in her water every other day. Mostly diarrhea however after last night she is now doing fine with regular droppings I am more wondering if it was all stress induced and what not. There was an abcess on her tail so I think it might of been that looked like diarrhea and it was actually puss

Hopefully your vet is open to learning, otherwise you need to find a better vet for rats.
Never put anything, especially not medication, in drinking water because it may cause rats to stop drinking and become dehydrated. Dehydration kills.

The amount of medication given depends on the weight of the rat and the strength of the medication.
If you put meds into their drinking water you may be giving too much or too little. Rats need to get a certain amount of doxy twice a day so everything that vet said is incorrect.

Rats do not get wet tail - hamsters do, so your breeder knows nothing about rats

If she does have diarrhea, we can make some suggestions re what to do.
If she is still on doxy, you will need to buy a digital scale that weighs accurately to 1 gram and has a tare function. This is an important thing for rat owners to have - they are sold in stationary stores, grocery stores, Walmart, etc
Once you know her weight we can let you know how much doxy she should be getting
How old is she? Asking because doxy is not a baby friendly antibiotic.

I hope her abscess is doing better

she is around 5 weeks of age, she seems to be drinking the water really well atm. I need to get with mainely rat rescue and ask them about what to do for a vet, and get a scale to weigh her tomorrow to let you guys know. She seems to be doing really well at the moment as the diarrhea stopped all together. She is only 5 weeks old so i worry as we might be over treating her versus just treating the issue.

Back