Funky eyes

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paige

last Friday I came home with a new cage for my two rats (Bonnie and Clyde). When I tried to move them I heard squeaking and found ten babies. I moved them all to the new cage because theirs was small and dirty. The babies are all healthy looking. I noticed the other day that Bonnie’s one eye looked like there was some brown around the outside of it. I read they can get respiratory infections. But I haven’t noticed any signs of her being sick. She’s eating and drinking well and is acting like herself. I checked on them when I got home today and Clyde has one eye closed. I don’t see anything on it. It’s just shut and looks a little swollen but barely. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Bonnie’s eyes both look fine now. I don’t want them to be sick and lose them or spread it to the babes. Someone please give me some thoughts!

Bonnie and Clyde are intact female and male rats? If so if Clyde was around Bonnie after she gave birth, he may have impregnated her again.

Start with holding each rat's sides to your ear (like a phone receiver...we call this ratphoning) and listen for any sounds other than the gentle whoosh of air in and out of the lungs.

What bedding do you have the rats on in their new cage?

Yes, I was not aware that she was pregnant. I came home and found babies hidden. I plan on moving him next week because I’m sure she’s already pregnant. I checked his eye again and it’s fine now. I think he might have just scratched it. Bonnie’s eye looks fine. Does anyone know what it means when they lick you? Bonnie is licking my hands when I check on the babie

Omg you need to seperate them now! I'd put Clyde in the cage he was previously in. It's really not good for the females to have babies back to back. What do you plan on doing with all the babies? Why take that risk to her health? That's really irresponsible rat ownership. She is licking you because she likes you. Some rats show their love by "grooming" you like you are one of them. But seriously, you need to seperate the two adults. You can save the baby boys and put them in with dad when they get 5 weeks old. Leave the females with mom.

This is my first time having rats and I did not know she was pregnant. She hid them so good that I didn’t even find them until they were days old. By the time I found them she was probably already pregnant again. I have been watching them non stop and I have been spoiling them all. If I was irresponsible I wouldn’t be worried about them. I planned on moving him next week because if she is pregnant and gives birth I don’t want him to get her again..I’m so worried he’s going to get depressed without her and the babies. He’s been so good with them

It will only be for a couple of weeks that he is alone. You can give him a stuffed animal to cuddle with, and spend extra time cuddling and playing with him in the mean time. Then, when the babies get bigger, after their eyes open and they are exploring, you could start to let them all out with dad (not mom, and keep a close eye on babies, because they are fast) in a play pen, so he doesn't feel so lonely. Their eyes open between day 10 and day 15. About a couple of days later, they become curious, and explore a lot. Be sure to handle them often while they are this little so they are used to humans. They grow and learn incredibly fast.

Would it be okay to put his cage right next to Bonnie and the babies? And when I put the males baby with him, do you think he will become aggressive with them or will he know who they are? I’ve read males can get territorial.

actually babies need to be at least 8 weeks old, 10 weeks is safer, before being introed to a rat over 12 weeks old

You can put his cage near them
If you have access to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to safely neuter rats you could get him neutered
However, it is important for health reasons to have female rats spayed so you might want to save up to have Bonnie spayed after all her babies have been weaned - she will wean them by 5 weeks, baby boys are separated from mom and sisters at 5 weeks, and baby girls stay with their mama until at least 6 weeks old and never need yo be seperated

I called a vet that will fix a rat but they said it was kind of dangerous and I don’t want anything to happen to him. His eye is good now. I just went and checked on them and him and Bonnie were having me pet them. He hasn’t really let me near him much. He’s been extremely protective of the babies

Would it be okay to put his cage right next to Bonnie and the babies? And when I put the males baby with him, do you think he will become aggressive with them or will he know who they are? I’ve read males can get territorial.
I put a mom and babies back with the dad at 4-5 weeks and he was great with them but it depends on the rat.

I put a mom and babies back with the dad at 4-5 weeks and he was great with them but it depends on the rat.

I really hope you spayed mom, or neutered dad, or you're just going to continuously have litters!

Haha! OK good. Not many people are smart enough, or quick enough to get it done during that seperation period. LOL

Back