Funky breath!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qhosted

Hey!! I feel like i post on this forum so much recently. I am just so worried about my senior male. He is 1.5 years old and his brother passed away about 3 months ago of a PT.

Recently, I have recovered my mischief from a bad case of lice, and I just about tore my hair out over that, lol. But they are all good now, and thankfully, lice free.
About 3 days ago, Reese’s (my older male) breath started smelling- kind of fishy almost ? His bottom teeth are splayed and one is uneven. His top teeth look fine and yellow though. He eats fine, drinks fine, and is active. I don’t think his face looks very swollen, but maybe slightly on one side? I could show a picture but I’m not sure.

What should I do? I’m hoping it isn’t an oral abscess but if it is, what do I request of my veterinarian?

Do his bottom teeth splay when his mouth is open? If so, that's normal. They kind of form a V when their mouth opens. Yellow teeth up top is totally normal as well. I'd be more worried if they were black or dark brown. As far as uneven, can you get a pic, so we can see how bad? As for the smell, I don't know. I've had a rat with a jaw abscess and honestly, I never noticed a smell. But on occasion, my rats will have smelly breath from who knows what. I think it's from snacks or veggies I may have fed. What do you feed your rat's? Do they have plenty of stuff to chew on?

Back