Fun toys and other stimulating activities.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
The tissue box.
Give your rats a full box of tissues and watch them work feverishly at building up a nest or simply redecorating their cage with tissues.
DSCN4002.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=4&p=285531#p285531
Picture by Petitepuppet

Hanging a toilet paper roll is another fun idea for rats. They love to unravel and carry it all along the cage.
bottomafter.jpg

Give them brown paper bags and watch them either get comfy and cozy or tear it to shreds.
colony9jaci.jpg

Are you done with that newspaper? Make sure the ink is vegetable or soy based and give your rats something to read.
You can give them big sheets of paper or cut it up for easy travel. Another great stimulating idea.
rivermyhouse.jpg

Pictures by mamarat.

If anyone have more neat ideas please share!

Looks like a blast. I know what I'm going to be watching tomorrow night! :giggle:

What kind of tissue paper is it?
We only have kleenex with balm on here in Norway(or I haven´t found anything else)..
Is that dangerous for them?

MissGuardian said:
We only have kleenex with balm on here in Norway(or I haven´t found anything else)..

I'm not sure. It's it tea tree balm then I wouldn't give it. Try the toilet roll paper instead.

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:

I'm not sure. It's it tea tree balm then I wouldn't give it. Try the toilet roll paper instead.
I finally found without balm on it..
It don´t say what balm, only "Balm"

Kleenex usually has something Aloe/moisturizer/lotion based, here in the States, but it's optional. I don't think it would be good for rats.

I don't have a pic but what I do is take a toilet roll, nip some holes in it with scissors and then feed sticks of carrots through the holes. They then have to yank and pull to get the the carrots out.

allycat said:
I don't have a pic but what I do is take a toilet roll, nip some holes in it with scissors and then feed sticks of carrots through the holes. They then have to yank and pull to get the the carrots out.

I've done something similar, it was a few layers of paper towels, filled with treats, then tied up and hung. It was like a piñata.

My guys love packing tape rolls (not tape, just the empty cardboard roll). They chew on it, carry it around, push it around like a wheel, and even though they are big boys they also run through it (like a mini tunnel).

haha awesome pics! I've given my ratties the last couple 'rolls' on the toilet paper before and it's hilarious if the roll itself won't fit into their hiding spots cuz then they just pull it all off, so cute to watch!
I have a question with the kleenex boxes though...How do you guys get the plastic out/off without tearing into the box?

Asheka said:
haha awesome pics! I've given my ratties the last couple 'rolls' on the toilet paper before and it's hilarious if the roll itself won't fit into their hiding spots cuz then they just pull it all off, so cute to watch!
I have a question with the kleenex boxes though...How do you guys get the plastic out/off without tearing into the box?
I just use a knife.. Mine don´t bother about the box itself tho..

Okies...I've never tried taking it out until after the kleenex is gone as a hide out and figured it'd be a pain...Mine always chewed up the boxes in a couple weeks so I'd have to replace them lol
Thanks!!

Second use for young coconut (beyond using the water as electrolytes) is to give them the shell to play with ... if you've got chewers they'll be happy scraping whatever flesh is left inside and shredding the exterior which is very soft yet wood-like. Although if you don't like picking up TONS of pieces of wood, you may not be so happy. The cage usually looks like a lumberyard afterwards. Nero and Figaro about two weeks ago, in the early stages of destruction. Hard to believe he was fine and there was no lump then and things went downhill so fast. On the plus side, it beats a long illness that drags on and on.

[img=center:14xzhtfh]http://k00kie.freeshell.org/other/buro/2012-07-08/coconut1.jpg[/img:14xzhtfh]

[img=center:14xzhtfh]http://k00kie.freeshell.org/other/buro/2012-07-08/coconut2.jpg[/img:14xzhtfh]
It's only good for a day though (there is some moisture in the inner and outer shell so I wouldn't leave it more than a day).I suppose the mature coconuts (the smaller ones that are brown with milk inside) would also make good toys but with less chewing potential.

Back