Fruit Flies? How do you get rid of them?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamarat2

Ever since we moved into our condo we seem to have picked up fruit flies in the place. First I thought it was maybe because they hitched a ride in when the cages were moved from the apartment to the condo, but I keep my rat cages clean and they have since been wiped down.

I eat fruit, but it's not sitting out letting the flies get to it. And I've also learned that if you wipe the fruit off with a damp cloth it will get rid of any fruit flies that haven't hatched yet.

I have no idea where these things are coming from. We keep the windows closed, A/C at the moment. Can they live in the rug?

Someone once told me to burn incense around where they gather, apparently they hate incense and will skedaddle out of there. Even if you don't leave fruit out, they can be attracted to other fruit smelling things like lemon dish soap ( who knew :roll: ) but here's a wikihow article that might help http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fruit-Flies
Good luck :)

Take some vinegar and mix it with some dish soap. It will attract the fruit flies. They get stuck in the bubbles at the top and can't get out, lol.

Any smart trix for ordinary flies? This summer I've had too many of those, have an electric zapper-thing and took 35 yesterday, and 29 to night :shock:

Get some beer. Drink a few but leave a fair bit in the bottom. Put saran over the top and hold it with an elastic. Punch some small holes around the can opening. Put them around by the garbage and wherever you have a problem.

Don't post for a while afterwards cause your typing will be illegible :wink:

Fidget said:
Get some beer. Drink a few but leave a fair bit in the bottom. Put saran over the top and hold it with an elastic. Punch some small holes around the can opening. Put them around by the garbage and wherever you have a problem.

Don't post for a while afterwards cause your typing will be illegible :wink:

ROFL!!
I'll be safe cause I don't like beer.

You can also use any sweet fruit juice or wine or leave a banana in the bottom of a container, make a funnel and the flies will go in.

maybe it's possible they're drain flies? they are almost the same thing, i wouldn't have any ideas of getting rid of them, sorry. .. maybe get some small lizards to eat them ;)

...until you have a lizard infestation, then come the birds..

i don't know really :p

the only difference i know is that drain flies reproduce ins damp conditions and shallow water (like the little bit that is left in a sink around the drain)

Arg...
I've got a couple of persistent little whatever flies and they are in my bedroom, harassing me while I'm on my laptop. Are they following me from the kitchen?
Stalking fruit flies. :help:

Fruit flies can be found in your drains. They can live where you don't expect it. Anywhere there is organic material, they will be. I know of someone who opened up their drain pipe and found a huge bunch in it... ew.

Melissa said:
Fruit flies can be found in your drains. They can live where you don't expect it. Anywhere there is organic material, they will be. I know of someone who opened up their drain pipe and found a huge bunch in it... ew.

Yah I read the link that was put up last night and proceeded to make up a few pots of hot water that I promptly sent down the drain. Also did the wine thing where you put wine in a bowl and break the surface with your fingertip and a drop of dish soap, caught a few of the buggers that way last night. I'm thinking the hot water thing might have worked too, going to keep the drains plugged up for now on and continue pouring hot water down them.

I'm having a fruit fly problem too.
I'm going to do some of these. I have wine, no problem there! LOL

Back