Free-roaming

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyRatLady

Hello! I do not have rats yet, but I'm trying to get lots of information :)
Firstly, I was wondering, is it best to have them in a pen, or free roam?
Secondly, I was wondering the steps I should take to rat-proof the room before I let them out. I have a bed and a dresser- should I block underneath both of those so they don't get to any cords? I also have some cords that I'll probably put in a shoebox with holes for the cords to come out and go where they need to go, just so they can't get to the power strip. Will that be effective?
Lastly, we have carpet! :eek: How do I prevent getting a mess all over it?
Thanks! :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Rats need to live in a large cage, with small bar spacing and solid floors (not wire).
Rats are very curious, intelligent so free ranging unsupervised presents a lot of dangers, and as little chewers they will also do a lot of damage

Horizontal space is very important to rats so they need a cage with a base at least 30 inches by 18 inches, and height with large levels - but bigger is better
The min cage size for rats is 4 cubic feet in size, with an additional 2 cubic feet for each additional rat more then 2 rats … so 3 rats would need at least 6 cubic feet, 4 rats would need at least 8 cubic feet etc …. but larger is better. There are online cage calculators you can use to calculate this.
The Midwest Critter Nation cage is one of the better cages for rats. Martinscages.com makes a R6965, powder coated cage (paint is baked onto the wires to prevent rusting - cage needs to be assembled with hundreds of zip ties as the c-rings will rust) with flip top lid.

Rat a need a large rat safe play area where they can free range a couple of hours a day with you.
Some people will cover their bed with a fleece blanket to protect it from urine, add toys and use that as a play area, others will create a play pen. I believe it is best if they have access to their cage when in their play area so they can go in and out if they want to.

You need to make sure they do not have access to electrical cords as they may chew them - creating a fire hazard, damaging them and possibly burning or killing themselves.
Rats are territorial and will urine mark their territory. I put a large thick piece of linoleum over carpets to protect it. I also make sure they have access to their litter box.

Please see our reference Thread for information and ideas, as well as posts in the various threads on this forum
https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/
and you may find this information useful https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/thinking-of-getting-a-rat-things-to-consider.32306/

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)

Rats need to live in a large cage, with small bar spacing and solid floors (not wire).
Rats are very curious, intelligent so free ranging unsupervised presents a lot of dangers, and as little chewers they will also do a lot of damage

Horizontal space is very important to rats so they need a cage with a base at least 30 inches by 18 inches, and height with large levels - but bigger is better
The min cage size for rats is 4 cubic feet in size, with an additional 2 cubic feet for each additional rat more then 2 rats … so 3 rats would need at least 6 cubic feet, 4 rats would need at least 8 cubic feet etc …. but larger is better. There are online cage calculators you can use to calculate this.
The Midwest Critter Nation cage is one of the better cages for rats. Martinscages.com makes a R6965, powder coated cage (paint is baked onto the wires to prevent rusting - cage needs to be assembled with hundreds of zip ties as the c-rings will rust) with flip top lid.

Rat a need a large rat safe play area where they can free range a couple of hours a day with you.
Some people will cover their bed with a fleece blanket to protect it from urine, add toys and use that as a play area, others will create a play pen. I believe it is best if they have access to their cage when in their play area so they can go in and out if they want to.

You need to make sure they do not have access to electrical cords as they may chew them - creating a fire hazard, damaging them and possibly burning or killing themselves.
Rats are territorial and will urine mark their territory. I put a large thick piece of linoleum over carpets to protect it. I also make sure they have access to their litter box.

Please see our reference Thread for information and ideas, as well as posts in the various threads on this forum
https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/
and you may find this information useful https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/thinking-of-getting-a-rat-things-to-consider.32306/
Okay, thank you! The fleece blanket is a great idea.
This really helps. :)
Would the single story be suitable for two male rats? I know it's best to have 2+, but my parents don't want to allow more than 2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NJ0DAE/ref=twister_B07J2MML6K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The single CN would be ok for two ratties …. but you would need to use all the space wisely
I would suggest:
- litter boxes such as large corner ones as rats like to use corners as toilets (I suggest 3 litter boxes - 2 large corner and 1 large rectangle)
- house
- several large hammocks
- a space pod
- tubes hung on the sides of the cage
- a solid 12 inch diameter wheel
- boxes to hide in and chew
- at least 1 water dish that can not be upset, and water bottle
- food dish

Bedding must be frozen for 48 to 72 hours after purchase to kill parasites
Make sure you will be able to afford vet care and meds because by the time you notice your rattie is ill, you are well into a medical emergency … rats become ill and die fast without proper medical care and medication
Make sure you have access to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats or at least has the willingness to learn
Please check out the links I gave you as it will answer many of your questions

Back