Free roam on bed tips

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How old are they now?

They always try to climb off. How high is the surface of your bed?

You can put a little cardboard wall around the edges using gorrilla tape to make it but honestly, that's a lot of work. Can you show us a pic?

My bed is up against the wall on one side so there is only 3 sides exposed.

My Queenie always tried to get down and it sorta turned into a game where I'd pick her up and place her back under the covers with her soft carrier. It's tiring LOL.

However, I knew I would eventually allow her on the floor.

Is there a reason why your rats can't go on the floor?

My boys ages are:
- 11 months
- 7 months
- 7 months
- 3 months
- 3 months
My bed is pretty high. I don't want them to go on the floor because they can under my bed and dressers so I want to rat proof before they can do that. I tried free roaming on my bed last night and it went very well, one of my boys who was skittish decided that he was going to crawl onto my back he also ran back to me if he went too far.

My boys ages are:
- 11 months
- 7 months
- 7 months
- 3 months
- 3 months
My bed is pretty high. I don't want them to go on the floor because they can under my bed and dressers so I want to rat proof before they can do that. I tried free roaming on my bed last night and it went very well, one of my boys who was skittish decided that he was going to crawl onto my back he also ran back to me if he went too far.
Awww. it's so good that one is running back to you. GOOD JOB! That's trust. He is saying he feels nervous and looking at you like his protector. RIGHT ON!

Well, rat proof now dear because in no time they're gonna want to climb down and if you rat proof, you'll be ahead of the game and they'll be so happy to explore.

I live on lino floors and have rat proofed. I have a plastic covered storage bin under my bed but my rats are allowed to go under there and I keep it clean. Every two days I sweep and mop with hot water and white vinegar which is safe for their resp systems.

IF you're on carpet you'll have to get a spot cleaning device and keep it really clean. You might want to put a poop box down there too in a corner. Rats like privacy to poop. If your room is large you can get a little pen for them. Shadow the Rat has made her own with tall cardboard and gorilla tape. However, if you really want my advice on this, rat proof the room and allow them to go where they want. They'll be so enriched. Just think, you can come home at night and put on some smooth jazz and let them play and be available to them when they want to visit you or one gets a little scared.

One of my night time rituals is to use my phone and sit on my bed and do adult colouring while they come up and visit and play. Every night they come to Momma and visit and get cuddles and hand wrestling and my oldest girl gets snuggled and stroked. It's a perfect end to the long day.

Back