Fredericton, NB & New Maryland: Islandview Vet Clinic

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

Islandview Veterinary Clinic: rat-friendly staff, some evg hours. They had to stop the Saturday hours to give their vets a better family life.

This is a wonderful vet clinic. The vets are compassionate and knowledgeable and they have a loyal clientele throughout the greater Fredericton area. The other staff are great, too, and many of them like rats. **They have a digital X-ray machine which gives really great images on the computer.

Dr. Scott Stewart (likes rats, smart guy who is always keen to learn new things, takes great care of my ratties and SQ's ratties, skilled surgeon, did tricky operation to remove my Tia's eye) He now has a lot of experience with spays and neuters, too. For those who have cats, he has a special knack for getting pills down the hatch of even the most reluctant cat!
and
Dr. Geoff Hampton, who is the co-owner of the practice with his wife. He is a highly-respected vet surgeon; experienced with rat spays & neuters; good with rats, saved the life of Stella & her sisters by diagnosing their bladder infection.

Dr. Julie Bjerkelund was so kind on the night that I had to take Melissa in to be pts; she did a great job of explaining the medical situation, helping me & my sister feel comfortable with my decision, and giving Melissa a peaceful death.

(506) 453-9998 Islandview location --- main hospital

(506) 452-8255 New Maryland location

I am trying to change the title of the post to make it clear that Islandview and New Maryland are just outside of Fredericton.

Update: many of the Fredericton-area vets have stopped having weekend hours altogether. They still take turns providing on-call services after hours. I find it hard that Islandview is no longer available on Saturdays, but I can see that providing six-day-a-week service in a small practice would really take a toll on family life.

So I am happy to see that our wonderful vet is taking care of himself and avoiding burnout!

I also go to these vets. Dr. Stewart is the one I see most of the time although my first trip there I met with Dr. Hampton. They both cared deeply for my rats and were very good with their diagnosis of coccidia. They were very knowledgable and good at explaining to me what was going on. I think they're just great :D

Dr. Scott Stewart now does spays and neuters.
He is very experienced in treating rats with respitory problems and heart problems.
He has gained a great deal of knowlege and experience in treating rats.
He has excellent judgement when it comes to treating rats and is willing to consult with trained exotic vets.
I highly recommend him as an excellent vet for rats, regardless of the rattie's health issue.

Yes, I would have to agree the clinic is absolutely wonderful! But the only complaint I had was that Poe now has a small lump from his neutered. Also, when I brought Poe for a recheck following his neuter, it was the vet tech that examined Poe (in the waiting room) not the vet. Perhaps it was because I was not a regular "customer" which I can understand.

You mean he is very experienced in treating rats with respiratory problems and heart problems? that could be a good thing to know... because not all vet could do the same....

its common practice to have techs recheck neuters although in the waiting room seems unprofessional.

RatsForever said:
Yes, I would have to agree the clinic is absolutely wonderful! But the only complaint I had was that Poe now has a small lump from his neutered. Also, when I brought Poe for a recheck following his neuter, it was the vet tech that examined Poe (in the waiting room) not the vet. Perhaps it was because I was not a regular "customer" which I can understand.

Especially if you paid for that recheck.

theratlady said:
its common practice to have techs recheck neuters although in the waiting room seems unprofessional.

RatsForever said:

is this the same vet that tended to toofer jane's facial abscess? peaches had one that was just drained. so far so good but would like to know which vet to call if it comes back after the antibiotics are over and surgery is needed.

Yes, he operated on Toofer Jane re. tooth growing through her tongue, and he spayed her.
He operated on Laurel when one side of her face was abscessed, the skin was black and dead, etc.

The spays this clinic has done for me have cost around $150 - $160 including meds, with neuters costing around $90 to $100. I have had rats spayed and neutered this summer and the prices were as quoted above.
Costs have likely increased as the costs of gas, meds etc has increased.

Edit: I was at the vets today and asked. I can pm you the prices if you want.
They are similar to those I have written above.

Hello, I also live in the Fredericton area and I called the New Maryland clinic today, asking to speak with a vet who is experienced with neutering rats. The person who took my call said he'd call me back (she didn't mention his name, for some reason) and well he never did. He was probably super busy, so I don't blame him.

Well, I was wondering.. which of these two vets is best known to neuter rats?
Would any of you know if any of the rats he neutered passed away during or after the surgery?

My boy Charlie has been showing signs of aggression and he has bitten 3 people to the blood in the past week.. he was never like this before.
I guess the hormones are taking their toll.
He's about 8-9 months old.
Well, now I'm scared of him, and so is his cage buddy, Smokey, who has never even nibbled fingers.
I'm even scared to pick up Smokey, in fear that Charlie would bite me in the process.
Also, Charlie has been really nervous these days, barely sleeps and is always on the watch.
It's been making me nervous.

I've read that neutering rats make them less nervous and less aggressive.
Is this true?
And do you recommend these vets?
Also, do you know how much they charge for neutering?
Hopefully it's not too much.. I'm a student who works 8 hours a week.

Thank you!

67030_450833132578_640012578_5313674_1413024_n.jpg

Charlie about a month ago.

SQ said:
The spays this clinic has done for me have cost around $150 - $160 including meds, with neuters costing around $90 to $100. I have had rats spayed and neutered this summer and the prices were as quoted above.
Costs have likely increased as the costs of gas, meds etc has increased.

Edit: I was at the vets today and asked. I can pm you the prices if you want.
They are similar to those I have written above.

Seriously?
That is insane!
I've had cats neutered for less!

Back