Found domestic rat, may be pregnant?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if she's pregnant she will gain weight every day, every baby weights about 5-6grams when they are born. so if she weighs 300grams and she has 15 babies she can weight 450 grams on the day of birth or a little more. If she is pregnant and you notice a belly, you don't actually have many days before she is ready to give birth, just out of experience as now I only adopt pregnant rats

edit; I attached some pictures

Attachments

• pregnantrat.jpg
    pregnantrat.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 305
  • mamalou.jpg
    mamalou.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
if she's pregnant she will gain weight every day, every baby weights about 5-6grams when they are born. so if she weighs 300grams and she has 15 babies she can weight 450 grams on the day of birth or a little more. If she is pregnant and you notice a belly, you don't actually have many days before she is ready to give birth, just out of experience as now I only adopt pregnant rats

edit; I attached some pictures

Wow that's a big difference! I posted some pictures earlier in the thread does she look pregnant in your opinion? Her nipples are obviously exposed and I realized today the top two are pinker than they were before. I've weighed her the past three days
1st day: 273 g
2nd: 278 g
Today: 274 g
These weights are not very accurate as I weigh her at different points in the afternoon(just whenever I see her out of her nest) but it's usually around 6-8pm so it's not much of a time gap. Also it is very hard to weigh her haha she does not like to be grabbed or moved around a bunch, and the numbers just go crazy on the scale at times, today is the first day I know it is accurate. Tomorrow afternoon she will be going to the vet, will they be able to do anything to determine for sure if she is pregnant? Thank you for the advice! I am honestly so excited to see pups but all I really care about is her health and well being and if she is not pregnant I will start looking into finding her a friend or two, hopefully I will be able to adopt!

Not much of a pattern yet. No signs of being pregnant from those weights. Grooming the hair off the nipples is a behavior they will do before the birth but it's not foolproof. Right now she sounds like a regular growing baby with that funny little pot belly babies get. Try to weigh as close to the same time as possible. She's a youngster so I'll dig out pics of poor baby Lilith so you can see where she started and before she gave birth to 8 little boys. Lilith was in a petstore with an adult male who probably caught her on her first year between 6-7 weeks.

Aug 11
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5essexuygmr0e9s/Lilith2aug11.jpg?dl=0
Aug 13 (those telltale lumps)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/swqd7whyz6qnejq/Lilith2aug13.jpg?dl=0
Aug 14
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn0uc1hl9sdewtg/Lilith3aug14.jpg?dl=0
She had her babies on Aug 15.

Not much of a pattern yet. No signs of being pregnant from those weights. Grooming the hair off the nipples is a behavior they will do before the birth but it's not foolproof. Right now she sounds like a regular growing baby with that funny little pot belly babies get. Try to weigh as close to the same time as possible. She's a youngster so I'll dig out pics of poor baby Lilith so you can see where she started and before she gave birth to 8 little boys. Lilith was in a petstore with an adult male who probably caught her on her first year between 6-7 weeks.

Aug 11
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5essexuygmr0e9s/Lilith2aug11.jpg?dl=0
Aug 13 (those telltale lumps)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/swqd7whyz6qnejq/Lilith2aug13.jpg?dl=0
Aug 14
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn0uc1hl9sdewtg/Lilith3aug14.jpg?dl=0
She had her babies on Aug 15.

Aw shes adorable! And PB definitely isn't nearly as big so I believe you are correct about her not being prego! I will be seeing the vet in a few hours, will they be able to determine with touch or an ultrasound if she is pregnant? Yeah I was thinking she doesnt look like a fully grown rat but I may be wrong, I would love to start looking for a cage mate for her as soon as possible and I would really like to adopt but there are not any rat rescues anywhere near me, only ratterys and craigslist ads. What would you suggest if I get her a cage mate? I am a little bit afraid of craigslist because I do not want there to be a chance of sickness in the rat and the possibility of accidentally getting a Male. Thank you so much for the advice!

No point getting an ultrasound, they are expensive. Just watch and wait and weigh :p Craigslist isn't such a bad deal if you know how to weed out the backyard breeders etc. We can help with that if you want.

No point getting an ultrasound, they are expensive. Just watch and wait and weigh :p Craigslist isn't such a bad deal if you know how to weed out the backyard breeders etc. We can help with that if you want.

Thank you! I just got back about 30 mins ago with PB from the vet and things went pretty well! They let me know that she is not young, she is middle aged and they were not able to feel anything in her belly but they wanted me to know there is still a possibility that she could be pregnant so I will keep on weighing her daily. She does have an ear infection like I thought and does have the sniffles so they prescribed her a safe medicine called sulfa/trimethoprim suspension that I have to give her orally twice a day for 10 days. They were thinking about prescribing her a different medication but there is a chance that it may hurt any unborn babies if there are any so we decided against it, but other than that she is pretty healthy! Hopefully everything will clear up in the next week and she will be more interested in being out of her cage and actually exploring. Thank you so so much for all the help and support, I am so happy I found this forum and am so grateful for everybody here! Hopefully her weight will show me if she is pregnant soon and I will be able to decide if I can get a cage mate for her, I don't want her lonely for any longer than she has to be lol!

Back