Foster Girl Bites Me and Lunges at Cat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratato

To start off, let me explain a bit of a backstory.
I just recently got this female (I don't know her age; I do know that she had been alive since last summer) from a woman who could no longer have her. The woman was not exactly a rat guru, as she had her eating hay and living without a buddy.

On the second day I had her, she bit me until I gushed blood. I figured it was because she was scared due to it only being her second day in a new environment, so I didn't fret too much.

However, the days have gone by, and she is still continuing this behavior. I find myself doubting that she is afraid since she has approached me and took food from me, and has even charged at my cat from inside the cage. She has lived with cats previously, and my cat isn't interested in her, so I'm not worried about my cat trying to eat her.

Is this behavior happening because she is lonely and needs a buddy? Does she need more time to settle? Should she be handled for longer periods than usual?

She DOES need a buddy, but you need to give her time to fully adjust, and make sure there's no illness. Also, even though you may think your cat isn't a threat, to her it probably is. Cats are natural predators to rats, mice, etc, and it's rats instincts to not be their prey. So she may be biting and lunging because of the cat. She may be trying to scare the predator off, so she doesn't become dinner. So make sure to wash your hands, and don't try to take her from her cage (safe place). Let her come out on her own, in a safe play area away from the cat. THEN let her come to you. You can use treats, like small pieces of plain cheerios, or a little bit of yogurt on your finger to lure her to you. Once you've gained her trust, and she no longer sees you or the cat as a threat, then she may become more friendly. But I'd definitely remove her from the cat's territory, or put her in a cat free space. If or when she bites you, pull your hand away and make a loud eep noise. That's rat speak for "don't do that. It's not ok". Reward her for the positive experiences, and soon she will at the very least associate you with food, or good things. But take it slow, and give her time. If you need to move her to clean, put a small cage up to her door, and lure her in. Then remove the cage, clean, and put it back to her cage door so she can go back home. But I'd get her a buddy who has been handled and is friendly asap. They will help to show her humans are good, and help her to learn to trust you. Hope that helps. Also check out www.joinrats.com they have good info on socializing rats. :)

Thank you so much for the advice! I have a separate room with a door that I already have her in, so I will make sure the door is closed and the cat is out. I will get to work on trying your advice and looking for a suitable partner!
I greatly appreciate your help! :)

Back