Force grooming?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormy Rat

My dominant girlie (Stormy) has always pinned my other one (Poli) and groomed her very gently but now I'm hearing squeaks of pain and seeing a chase before it . I always break them up by putting my hand in between them when I it gets particularly vicious. Is there anything I can do to prevent it In the first place?

so power grooming is a dominance thing but usually pretty normal. The rat being power groomed can be silent or can eep at the groomer. That too is normal. Chasing might possibly be because the other rat is in heat...do you see defensive posturing like rearing up with mouth open, boxing with the front paws? Or do you see any humping (signs of heat or dominance).
Is there any wounds or scabs at all? Does one rat seem worried and nervous around the other or do they still eat and sleep together?

Thank you 😊 . They still curl up together in there house and play with each other. The less dominant one has always been a bit jumpy but now I see it more . There is no aggressive behavior or anything defensive. There has been no injury or scabs . I have noticed when they wake up one has always had a tiny amount of crustiness around the eye ,that is what Stormy force grooms

Back