food

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papercrow

So let me first say how pleased I am to have found this forum. I am definitely a novice rat keeper compared to all of you and I was hoping that there could be a section about food. I am interested to see what everyone feeds their rats and what their successes and failures have been. Whaddya think?

I use to feed my rats Hagen Nutriblocks but I've been informed, by Hagen, that they no longer make Nutriblocks; so now I'm feeding them Regal Oxbow which is not a favourite but there are no hunger strikes. I also feed them fruits (bananas and blueberries are must have when in season) and veggies (corn and peas are a hit). For treats: Shreddies, Organic Kamut Puffs (there are fights over this stuff), tuna, salmon (when I can afford to eat it myself), oatmeal, yogurt, and anything I'm cooking for myself that is safe for the crew.

According to my family, the rats eat better than I do. heh heh heh

papercrow, I've moved your post to Rattie 911 since it's all part of rattie care. :D
Everyone can answer in your thread since it was aptly named already.

I feed my rats Harlan Teklad 2014 and Oxbow Regal Rat. I keep their proteins level low (14%) and their fat levels low as well. (4%)
They also get daily fresh veggies and some fruits at times.
As for treats, they'll get some multigrain cheerios.
When giving my rats food, I make sure it's low fat, low protein, no sugar and no salt.
Now if only I could follow a strict diet like that. lol

I feed a 20% protein lab block (manufactured locally, but basically the same as a Purina lab block). While the protein level may not be "ideal", I have had good luck with it. The only other food available here is Oxbow Regal Rat and my rats didn't do well when I was feeding that as a staple.

I give some veggies, fruit, pasta, cheese etc. when available in the house, but I do not purchase it specifically for the rats.

I am a firm believer that even the poorest quality rodent lab block is a better diet than any seed mix. I wish they would take that stuff off of the shelves.

When I started I gave mine Reggie Rat, and they got VERY fat. Then I changed to Altromin (I suspect it's related to Harklan, as it's also called 2014), it's a labblock and I like it because they are now normal-weight and seem to be getting less colds (might also be because I'm not a newbee doing stupid things anymore), then I give veggies, pasta and a little of this and that, but taking care not giving too much as I lost some rats because of them being extremely fat.

Back