Food vs smell

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bati

Just got 9 girls from my friend who feed seedmix, and they smell very bad, I use lab-block and mine does smell, but the new ones smell like diarrea (their poop is normal)

I was just thinking, is there anything I could feed them to make them smell even less? Like garlic is a stinker, but maybe parsley or something?

They will probably need time on an appropriate diet for the old stuff they were fed to pass through their system. In awhile they should smell much better. :mrgreen:

I probably wasn't clear (where did my language go :oops: ) - they are getting labblock now, I was thinking, could I give my own something to smell less than they do now?

Ahh all your rats smell but the new ones smell worse?
(pre-coffee sorry :oops: )

What exactly do you feed them?
Strictly lab blocks? What other treats, or veggies of other stuff have you fed? Broccoli makes for stinky rats I have heard. :lol2:

The newbies could take a week to smell better from that rotten diet.

AHA! I give them broccoli, in giant amounts! I give them labblock, and then veggies, salat and bananas, pasta, rice, potatoes and a little dry bread when I have some left. But mainly they get lab blocks.

My own smell a bit bad, but not too much, the new ones smell like they are sick and, getting up this morning from the smell, I expected to find them all with diarrea :wink:

Also, if the new guys never had veggies before and are now getting it huge amounts this may over load their system and produce smelly and softer poops.
Give them smaller amounts of veggies and not every day to start.
That may work...
Another thing you could do, give them a wee bit of yogurt, get the live cultures in their guts so that their digestive system moves smoothly.

I will add with the yogurt, make sure its the live culture one, not just regular yogurt. Its a great probiotic and they should love the treat. :)

Cut the broccoli down too. :)

I have a question. Where do they sleep? In the shavings? in a hammock?

My girls used to sleep in the shavings so they did smell (not a whole lot) but now they aren't in the shavings they have that sweet smell to them... it made a huge difference.

They sleep in the hammock in which they do all their toilet-stuff too, don't know why but any rat I get will do that :?

I use something looking like gravel, made from corn as bedding and it's very smell-free (for newborns I use something more soft and cosy)

Back