Food grade Diatomaceous earth to treat mites?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newratowner

I was doing some research and found a few articles and videos on using food grade diatomaceous earth on your rats to get rid of mites and other parasites? Has anyone else tried this is it safe/effective? It seems to me with it being natural it would be safer than the alternative methods of treatment. I've never used it before or came into contact with it so I'm not sure if its dusty and if that dust can irritate a rats respiratory system?

I asked this on the Quick Question Thread a few weeks back.
The only reservation I had which was also stated by other members was that its a dust and it could irritate their respiratory systems.
I used it on my dogs and cat and my neighbours cat as I'm sick of chemical treatments that don't work.
I tested a small patch on one poor boys chewed up shoulder and he seems to have that spot healing up which means the mites in that spot are gone.
I did it very carefully without letting any go airborn (as best I could).
I like it and ot didn't seem to bug him at all. So I'm going to do one group carefully and see what happens. At the first sign of distress I will stop.

I'd be very concerned about it being inhaled as well. I have had good luck with Revolution so I don't think I"d ever take the chance with DE but that's just me

I'd be worried that they'd inhale the dust but there would be a delayed reaction instead of an immediate one, kind of like how coal miners get that black lung- it takes awhile before it really seriously affects them, as far as I understand, but that doesn't mean the exposure was ever safe
know what i mean?

Just because something is natural does not mean that it is safe. There are many natural things that can seriously injure/kill someone.

There is no reason to use DE on rats. Revolution is safe and effective. DE is REALLY bad to inhale and can cause some serious respiratory issues (in humans too). With rats and their sensitive respiratory systems, it seems silly to do something that could aggravate that, especially when there is a perfectly safe alternative.

I have had 3 family dogs die of liver AND bladder cancer and my vet who is the one who helped me lower my dogs chemical intake since 2007 said the adsorption agents in the revo are 90% most likely what caused it.
So I am a little reserved on continuing to use revo on even smaller animals. As well I have not been able to eliminate the lice since before Lana died with revo.
So at this point I need to try something else.
I can't just leave them suffering from the bites.
My personal opinion is that the revo and other flea/mite/tick treatments are not perfectly safe.
**Not saying anyone is wrong in using it. I'm just personally done seeing my animals pass away with painful tumours caused by chemical use. ***
Please don't think I am saying that its wrong. Just a personal belief as all of us are entitled to that its done more harm long term in my experience and I don't want my little fuzzies (and non-fuzzies) to go through that because I have had to use it so often.

Last edited:
I think more problems come from using it month after month than from a one time use to treat an outbreak. Most dogs and cats are getting doses all throughout the year. I can understand your reservations because of prior experiences though.

Well at this point I have been almost 3 months using it. I can't seem to get rid of all of them. I've frozen all bedding, wood toys, hideouts, thrown out all fleece and washed everything else in vinegar and lemon juice
I even soaked their ropes in vinegar for 3 days and then frozen them. I'm at my wits end with these lice!

Well at this point I have been almost 3 months using it. I can't seem to get rid of all of them. I've frozen all bedding, wood toys, hideouts, thrown out all fleece and washed everything else in vinegar and lemon juice
I even soaked their ropes in vinegar for 3 days and then frozen them. I'm at my wits end with these lice!

Sounds like you need to toss out all wooden toys and rope and maybe try Ivermectin. If you didn't get the Revolution from the vet that could also be the issue as you may have ended up with meds that were improperly stored or ineffective. (P.S. Vinegar and/or lemon juice will do nothing for parasites. Bleach and water is what you should be using.)

I allergic to bleach so I can't use it. And I can't find ivermectin in Canada anymore. And I don't have the ability to cross to the U.S.

I allergic to bleach so I can't use it. And I can't find ivermectin in Canada anymore. And I don't have the ability to cross to the U.S.

The best place to get Ivermectin from is the vet. Horse deworming paste is too concentrated and very dangerous if not used properly so it's best to steer clear.

If you are allergic to bleach, you can use powered peroxide or Oxyclean, they'll kill pretty much everything as well. Or ask your vet about a suitable cleaning agent. Vinegar is great from breaking down ammonia and mineral deposits but it is an acid and thus does not have a lot of disinfecting power.

Thanks for the tips. I'll ask the vet about the Ivermectin and I use OxyClean in my laundry so I'll try that as well for cleaning

Back