FN for old rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
The last couple of weeks, I noticed my old crew just hanging at the bottom of their triple FN. So after watching them for a bit, I realized they are having trouble getting up the ramps. So today, it was cage scrubbing day so I decided to modify it as best I could to accommodate the majority of the rats.
I have 14 rats in that triple FN. 10 of them are over 28 months, 4 of them have rear end degeneration, Loki and Vincent have it pretty severe. So I took the shelf from the top, add it to the bottom so the ramps are no longer steep. I also added an upside down ferret litter pan to the middle so it can reach the top ramp. The top part of the cage will be for the more agile rats, no more shelf up there but lots of hanging things. ;)
So I put the rats back in and I see the old ones climbing to the top. They must have been wondering what was taking me so long to modify it for them. Since putting the wheel at the top, Couscous has started to use it again.

Here are the pics of the cage after cleaning;

OldmanFN.jpg

And the bottom part with the added shelf:

OldmanFN1.jpg

On the weekend, I'll take more pics of the old guys and their out time and with the cage. :wink: :D

That's awesome Jo!

The boys just got my ruud to themselves because the girls are finally all together...

I was wondering how to strider proof it so he doesn't hurt himself....we can't move the shelfs like that in the RUUD.

so hammocks are going everywhere!!

I love your cages :p

I didn't realize so many of your crew was older, Jo! The FN looks great with its elder-rattie modifications. I hope to never deal with hind leg degeneration again (fat chance!), since Mulligan had it severely, and he also got it very young at about 14 months old (such good breeding).

How do they get into the big cube on top? :lol:

When I put that thing up there, I thought, shoot, way to far up and I was going to change it tomorrow, add more hooks to lower it. I get a little closer and Couscous is up there, right on top. lol I guess she climbed the side of the cage to get up there, but I'm still going to lower it.
I knew I did a good thing when I saw my Loki sleeping in her yellow ball right at the top. She's got the back end bad and had been staying put at the bottom. I'm so glad I did the changes!!

Rattielove9 said:
I was wondering how to strider proof it so he doesn't hurt himself....we can't move the shelfs like that in the RUUD.

so hammocks are going everywhere!!

I love your cages :p

Thanks!
Actually, you can modify your rudd. With some tile nippers you can cut away at those c-rings and move your shelves closer together, keeping care of the doors and such.
But adding hammocks also helps a lot!

I put my RUDD together with cable ties and so can easily move things around however I want.
Also, you can buy extra ramps and levels from martins.

I have also made shelves out of those bathroom wire shelves and plastic drain trays, then added them to my martins.

Back