Flower's tumors-Surgery 11/17/07 (pics) UPDATE

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

Under arm tumor. Kind of hard to see looks like a fatty area, but is in fact a tumor.
DSC01893.jpg

Rear-end tumor (vet says this one is more en capsuled and much larger so will take longer to remove) kind of hard to see as well.
DSC01936.jpg

So wish us luck that surgery goes well.

I planned on taking Lilly with her to keep her company. I wonder if I should take Lilly and someone else to keep Lilly company while Flower is in surgery?

No doubt it will be harder on you than her til it's done, then she has a mom that will try to make it continue that way. She has surgery sheduled?

I wouldn't take Lilly. Wouldn't be fair to her to stay alone in the cage in a scary place while Flower is in surgery and then be confronted with Flower not being Flower, but instead being totally out of it after (any time I've taken one for surgery they come in in the morning and are there most of the day so they can make sure they're coming around ok)... And better if Flower is alone with her sutures unless you are around to be sure nobody will bother them...

Better to take Flower alone with some of her favorite treats in the cage while you're driving.... Ratties suffer so much lesser-than crap - at least they have a plus in being allowed to have a treat before surgery :D

Wishing her a most successful surgery.

Bringing a rat for a regular vet visit is a good idea but I bet Flower may not feel up to seeing a friend when in recovery. She might need lots of quiet time.

Yeah, Flower will be at the vet from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. the day of the surgery. So I will just take Flower. That way no one else has to worry about what is about to happen to them. Thanks for the help :lol:

Flower went in for her tumor removal today. She had 2 tumors. I just called the vet and they said everything went well. Can't wait to see her.

I hate taking them in for surgery, for one I worry all night so I am super tired and then I almost cry every time I walk out the vet door. I just love them so much, that just the thought of loosing one of them really, really gets to me. I know that their passing away is inevitable, but I am not ready for it right now. They are still so young to me (My oldest Lilly and Flower are 17 months) I think that as they age I will be able to handle it a little better if I know it is coming.

I'm so glad things went well, I hope she is feeling ok and recovering well. Hugs to you for what you went thru, we sure understand :wink:

Thanks everyone, Flower is doing really well. She got to go back in the cage with everyone Saturday morning. It was so cute Clover got all excited and started grooming away. Almost like she was saying "OMGosh where were you I missed you so much". Clover really is the sweetest rat she just loves everyone.

Unfortunetly because the really large tumor on her back leg took so long to get all of it, he was not able to get the small one under her arm. Which is fine with me, I would rather him take the precaution than loose her. The one under her arm is very small and comes and goes. So I will wait awhile and once it gets bigger I will have it removed hopefully not for a few months.

Back