Fleece

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Ok, so I have fleece lining Rinky & Bingo's shelves because it was suggested. Problem is they nibble on it & put holes thru it. Doesn't sound safe, is it? If not, what else can I use
Thanks

I use fleece for my boys. I haven't had any issues because, although they used to chew holes through it and tear it up, they never ingested any of it. That is to say, I personally never had any issues with fleece. If you do notice that your guys seem to be ingesting any of it, that would likely be a concern! But, in my experience, your typical, healthy rat won't eat anything that isn't edible (for example, they chew on wood chews but never consume it). That is, I wouldn't worry too much. I'd wait for some more expert opinions (I still consider myself a rat newbie), but I don't think this is something to be too concerned about.

One thing to caution you about though: if you're using just fleece, you need to clean your cage out more often!

If you're still concerned,a safe alternative would be a paper bedding (like Carefresh) -- this is something I also considered for my boys and my former roommate uses it for her pet mouse. I've also heard of some people using aspen but I think that may be something still a little controversial/debated -- wood bedding in general, that is. Whatever you use, make sure it's low dust, unscented, and nontoxic!

I use fleece for my boys. I haven't had any issues because, although they used to chew holes through it and tear it up, they never ingested any of it. That is to say, I personally never had any issues with fleece. If you do notice that your guys seem to be ingesting any of it, that would likely be a concern! But, in my experience, your typical, healthy rat won't eat anything that isn't edible (for example, they chew on wood chews but never consume it). That is, I wouldn't worry too much. I'd wait for some more expert opinions (I still consider myself a rat newbie), but I don't think this is something to be too concerned about.

One thing to caution you about though: if you're using just fleece, you need to clean your cage out more often!

If you're still concerned,a safe alternative would be a paper bedding (like Carefresh) -- this is something I also considered for my boys and my former roommate uses it for her pet mouse. I've also heard of some people using aspen but I think that may be something still a little controversial/debated -- wood bedding in general, that is. Whatever you use, make sure it's low dust, unscented, and nontoxic!
I actually clean my cage every day. Thanks for the advice on the fleece!

Ok, so I have fleece lining Rinky & Bingo's shelves because it was suggested. Problem is they nibble on it & put holes thru it. Doesn't sound safe, is it? If not, what else can I use
Thanks

You are right. When things get holes in them they can become dangerous and rats can manage to get caught/trapped in the holes

Back