First Time Rat Owner

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Hi, My name is Rachel and I'm soon going to have my first rats! I am aiming for two females and am very nervous, as I have never had any kind rodent before and I'm desperately trying to learn all I can before I get them. I will strongly appreciate everyone help as I go forward in this learning experience so I can provide nothing but the best for the animals :p

Hi! Welcome to the fun. I hope you and your fuzzies bring each other lots of joy.

There's a ton of excellent threads and links kicking around the forums. My advice would be to read through those, and ask if you have specific questions.

Hi Rachel! Don't be nervous, you're in the very best place for caring & knowledgable advice & insights here. And you're in for a lot of laughs, love & pleasure when you find your babies.

Hi Rachel! Don't be nervous, you're in the very best place for caring & knowledgable advice & insights here. And you're in for a lot of laughs, love & pleasure when you find your babies.

I’m sure I will, but right now I’m having the worst luck aquiring a cage that’s big enough and not too expensive. Can’t seem to find one anywhere I’ve looked:(

Do you have online second-hand sites where you live? Here in Victoria BC (Canada) we have something called UsedVictoria, I've found great cages at great prices there.

Or you could get creative....
cagechristine rarsratsrats.jpg
coby & Danny-ratsratsrats.jpg
Ladybug 1.jpg

Do you have online second-hand sites where you live? Here in Victoria BC (Canada) we have something called UsedVictoria, I've found great cages at great prices there.

I live in Australia, Sydney. So I’m not sure. The best cages I’ve seen are over $400 and I’m not keen on that when I will have other expenses to worry about later, that’s all

That's way too much to pay! Google Second hand site and the name of your city.
Your biggest expense will be vet costs, they have short lives and most will need some medication in at least their later lives.. You might want to phone a vet and see what they charge just for an exam before you decide ratties are the pets for you.

That's way too much to pay! Google Second hand site and the name of your city.
Your biggest expense will be vet costs, they have short lives and most will need some medication in at least their later lives.. You might want to phone a vet and see what they charge just for an exam before you decide ratties are the pets for you.

I have looked into the vet. It’s $72 for a standard consultation and it goes up from there if medication is involved. Which is why I’m trying to take that into account when looking into starter costs. I’m hoping that whoever I adopt from will have advice on where to get a good cage

Welcome to the forum!
Amazon is also a pretty good place to start cage-wise. Ferret cages are often a good way to go and usually just require the mesh flooring be covered.

As for vet bills, definitely a good idea to have some cash stockpiled. After a few weeks of having Nettie, I had to take her in and paid $80 for an exam, mite medication and some antibiotics (on the west coast of the U.S.) Nothing too crazy, but would have felt so bad if I had to watch her go without.
As for general care, you're in very good hands here. I'm a new owner and have posted my fair share of misconceptions and dumb questions and have yet to be run out.
It's also a good idea to pick up a care guide. Amazon has a few eBooks for cheap that helped me prepare a lot. If I was clueless when I first got them, I'd be way worse off.
Rats: Practical, Accurate Advice from the Expert (Complete Care Made Easy) by Debbie Ducommum saved my life and annoyed the life out of my girlfriend when I preached rat care to her. I'd definitely recommend it.

Welcome again, and don't forget to post pictures when you pick them up. We love that here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back