First Time Owner

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitcat920

I’m a first time owner of two dwarf rats. I have their cage set up with ropes, hammocks, space pods, pom poms, a wheel, a wood chew, a wood bridge, cardboard boxes and foraging toys and dog rope toys. For their play pen I use a 16 inch pen and put boxes, a dig box, pile of laundry and other things like that. However whenever I put them in the pen all they do is jump out. I then gently toss them back into a bin with paper. They continue to do that and rarely run around. I want to add two more rats to our mischief. I want to be a better rat owner and I’m not sure how to do that. They just go back to sleep after free roam time. Please help me! I want to be the best rat mom!!!!

What you are doing sounds great!

Play pen need to be at least 2,5 to 3 feet high because rats can jump, and are hopefully large enough for you to sit inside and play with them. My rats like to be able to access their cage with out in the play area.

You might find the links in our Reference Thread to be of interest REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

I’m sorry I did not see this! They are 2 dwarf rat boys and they still love to jump. Either I play a game with them and gently plop them down or that’s a way for them to tell me they are done.
I have to ask if your new babies are girls?? How old are they?

How old are they? Boys tend to get lazy and all of mine seem to lose the want to jump up high after about 8-12 months. Boys usually make good cuddle buddies, and lap rats. But with ALL my rats, male and female, they want to be with or near me. So if I leave their play area, I can almost guarantee they will go hunting for me! If I'm in it, they will play around, but also climb on me quite a bit. You can also set up and rat proof your bathroom, and have them play in there with you. Or put a covering on your couch or bed that can be easily washed, and put boxes and tubes and blankets for them to hide in. I find that most of the time, it's the simple things that they want to play with or in....😂

Back