First time buying hamster, need breeder

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradmh77

Hi there. I’m well studied on taking care of rats. I was thinking of getting one for my first pet from the pet store. How much better is it to get it from a breeder. I know they’ll be a little more hand friendly in the begining but can’t I eventually train my rat to be just as friendly. I live in Macomb Michigan and the only breeder I can find is 3 hours away. I may just get two rats from the pet store. Im not sure I want to adopt a rescue because my friend had bad experiences in the past. Please let me know because I’m in need of help and information. Thank you :)

I have heard there can be a big difference in genetics and lifespan between a reputable breeder and a petstore who gets their rats from a puppy-mill type operation. The latter would be most concerned with volume whereas a good breeder would cultivate the best genetic strains resulting in rats with fewer health problems. Also the breeder would hopefully be taking better care of them than a bunch of minimum-wage teenagers at the pet store. Of course there are bad breeders too, and are we talking petco, or a local, family-owned place?

Last edited:
I was thinking about petco but would you recommend family owned stores instead. I don’t mind even driving an hour if anyone knows some good places. Thank you for giving me your perspective and experience. if the rat isn’t hand friendly and may be scared from being shuffled around in a store, wouldn’t you think it would still eventually become as well adjusted as a rat from a good breeder? I know dogs who’ve had bad owners for years may be permanently affected but I don’t think a few weeks or months may be much concern. I figured this because it’s such a short time from when they were born to when you purchase them.

I will admit I am not very knowledgeable on these things- however I do know that genetics plays a big part in how friendly a rat gets with humans. A wild rat that accidentally breeds with a fancy line, for example, can introduce skittishness that can never be nurtured out, even multiple generations down the line.

Oh wow interesting, I’m glad you mentioned that. I’m really wanting a friendly rat so I guess I’ll have to go through a breeder to increase my chances. Cool to know.

Just a question - why do rats being used as testing tool for medicine or vaccine study? Sorry to post it here. just dont know where is the appropriate thread. Thank you

They are similar enough genetically to humans that they can use them for study without having to get FDA approval for human testing. They're cheap, they reproduce fast, and they have been genetically purified over the years to give similar lab results across the world.

But they also use mice, rabbits, monkeys and other animals. Unfortunately they don't always treat them humanely. In the US at least they have laws they are supposed to follow- but in other countries such as China its worse than you can imagine.

For that reason, many people take that into consideration when choosing consumer products and opt for non animal tested.

Last edited:
This is a rat RESCUE forum.
We do not support the breeding of animals.
We supporting adopting from shelters, rescues or animals being rehomed, or rescuing animals.
Please read the forum rules found in our Reference Thread and in the Introduction section

Rescued rats, as well as rats adopted from shelters, rat rescues, and people rehoming rats are friendly, intelligent, wonderful little animals.
Rescue rats (and other rescue animals) come in all ages from just weaned babies to seniors, from healthy rats to rats with special needs and challenges.
Rescue rats are no different then rats from stores or breeders except that when you get rescue animals you are saving a life through adoption ...... you may be saving the lives of animals being rehomed or opening space at a shelter or rescue for more animals to be rescued and saved.
When you purchase an animal you are creating demand for more to be bred into misery.
Supporting breeders and stores that sell animals creates demand, supports animal abuse/cruelty, and takes homes away from animals in desperate need of good homes
If you are looking at adopt from a rat rescue, there are many good rescues that will screen, do home visits, require a signed contract, and will be available to provide assistance and will take back any animals if you decide for any reason that you can no longer care for them,

This is a rescue forum that supports and promotes the adoption of rescue animals.
This rat rescue forum does not support the selling or breeding of rats.
Please see the forum rules in the introduction section Please read! or in our Reference Thread REFERENCE Thread - Read Only
There are many places on the internet where you can go to discuss breeding and buying animals, this is the only rat rescue forum I am aware of. Please respect that.

BTW if you are looking for a hamster, many can be housed alone and there is a section on this forum for posting about other companions Other Companions
If you are considering a rat then you must get at least 2 same sex rats. Please see our Reference Thread for a wealth of information

Last edited:
Agreed- if OP is considering adopting, that could be a great way to find a friendly rat. Just try to stay away from chain petstores, as they are the worst place to go for many reasons.

Btw Bradmh, what were the bad experiences you mentioned you previously had while adopting rats? We may be able to help you find a better place near your location. There are a lot of Canadians here... that's near Michigan right?

Last edited:
Back