Finicky Rats Won`t Eat Apples, Until Now

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Schpog

I was born in New England and so Autumn and apples go together. As a child, my family and I would go to the orchards in New England and pick them off the trees in the late Fall. When Fall comes around, my brain and stomach instantly wants apples. I wanted to share this treat with my rats and for the last year and a half, I have tried endless varieties of apples to no avail.

Me and my rats live in the Pacific Northwest which has a TON of apple farms close by and endless varieties. I``ve tried every sweet apple from Red Delicious to Gala``s to Spartans with no luck. The rats would just look at me, give it a sniff and turn up their noses and walk away. NONE of my girls like ANY of the local growing apples. I remember going to the local grocery and seeing all the types of apples they offered and feeling sad with the knowledge that my rats wouldn`t touch them.

The best apples you can get in the late Autumn in New England are Macoun apples, hands down. They are hard to grow and expensive, but worth the price. This is the apple EVERY true New Englander wants to get their hands on in the Fall. They are SWEET and crisp. You don`t cook these apples, you eat them.

1604611087685.png

MACOUN APPLE

I don`t live in New England anymore but I accidentally stumbled onto a new apple my girls and I have never tried. I had given up on buying apples for my rats until someone gave me a 2lb bag of tiny Rockit apples last week. They are originally from New Zealand but they are sweet and crisp like a Macoun. The Pacific Northwest apple growers took some of the New Zealand trees and started farming them here so they are inexpensive and readily available in late Autumn.

So, I cut up this new small apple and peeled some of it to give to my girls. It was an instant success. They LOVED the apple! Finally! The finicky rats finally liked an apple.

It doesn`t matter where you live in the world, you can order these apples as a treat for your rats. You can find Rockits on Amazon in 2lb bags. My rats LOVE these apples and it`s very healthy for them. I love these apples too. I eat at least 2 a day. You can also find Macouns from growers in New England. You can order both and have them delivered to you.

1604611134047.png

Info on Rockits Order here
Info on Macouns Order Here

This caught my interest. Hehe, would like to try apples to for my lil rats. Newbie to this, so I am thankful for the informative posts. 🤩

This caught my interest. Hehe, would like to try apples to for my lil rats. Newbie to this, so I am thankful for the informative posts. 🤩
I think my rats are finicky because they eat a lot of human food. I'm a bit of a foodie and they are as well. They're so spoiled with good human food that even a sweet Gala apple doesn't do the trick. TBH, I don't like Gala apples either. I've gotta have the sweet, alkaline crisp ones.

Back